AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panny RP91 with an Immersive SDI mod connected to a Digital Leeza, and both have been running flawlessly for about a year now. Just this morning, colored sparklies started to show while viewing a DVD (sparklies were also present with no movie playback). The SDI cable is an Audioquest VSD-2, and I replaced it with a Bettercables SDI cable, but white snow appeared with the Bettercables SDI cable. So, I put back the Audioquest cable and no more sparklies.

Is either the RP91, the Leeza, or both starting to fail? Or is colored sparklies just related to the SDI cable?

Since using the Bettercables SDI cable just displays white snow, does this mean that the cable is bad, or that it is not compatible with this combination? I'm debating whether or not to throw it away.

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Hi Chris,

Usually, white snow and color sparkles are related to interference with the SDI cable. This can be a result of many factors (including grounding, incorrect impedance and possible problems with the transmitter or receiver electronics).

I would go to your local radioshack and pick up a new SDI cable (SDI uses a standard coax cable, no need to go all out for a bettercables cable...).

Make sure you do not have a ground hum issue (That all equipment is properly grounded). Try connecting to the component connection and see if there's also a problem there (it may manifest itself differently with component).

Try unplugging the power for both the DVD and scaler overnight. I've heard (this may be voodoo science, though) that after a power loss, the transmitter and receiver sometime need to "calibrate" theselves once again for cable impedance.

If all else fails, you may need to contact either Immersive or Key regarding ways to try and test which side may be at fault.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zxe018
I have a Panny RP91 with an Immersive SDI mod connected to a Digital Leeza, and both have been running flawlessly for about a year now. Just this morning, colored sparklies started to show while viewing a DVD (sparklies were also present with no movie playback). The SDI cable is an Audioquest VSD-2, and I replaced it with a Bettercables SDI cable, but white snow appeared with the Bettercables SDI cable. So, I put back the Audioquest cable and no more sparklies.

Is either the RP91, the Leeza, or both starting to fail? Or is colored sparklies just related to the SDI cable?

Since using the Bettercables SDI cable just displays white snow, does this mean that the cable is bad, or that it is not compatible with this combination? I'm debating whether or not to throw it away.
Dear Chris

You should get an RMA. Please mailto:[email protected] after April 21. He will take care of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From Ofer's response, it sounds like colored sparklies are an SDI cable issue, and I haven't seen anymore colored sparklies after removing and reattaching the SDI cable. I also cycled power on both the Leeza and the RP91.

Now, my question is can colored sparklies be related to hardware? If so, which is most likely to fail first: SDI board in the dvd player (Immersive board) or the SDI board in the scalar (Leeza)? And, how easy (or difficult) is it to fix?

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
zxe018,

It is a cable issue and it's not...

SDI is designed to work in long distances. The way it works is by using a balanced output (if you don't have an electrical background it's kind of hard to explain). From what I understand, the transmitter and receiver "calibrate" themselves to the cable (and eachother) during a power cycle.

If the cable is problematic or if this procedure was not done correctly (the cable was not properly connected when they power cycled), color sparkles can occur. Usually, the problem occurs the first time you put the units to use and it goes away after a brief period (That's how it happend to me).

If it doesn't work itself out, reconnecting the cable and power cycling both receiver and transmitter is supposed to fix it.

The problems you experienced do not necessarily indicate that there's any problem with anything in your system. More likely a glitch. I would suggest you keep an eye peeled and IMO, you won't experience this issue again.

Regarding fixing. If one of these units fails and needs to be fixed, only the manufacturer (Immersive or KeyDigital, depends on which device has a problem) should open it and fix it. You'd need to contact them, get an RMA and ship the unit out to them.

These are both good companies with a great reputation and you should have no problem getting good service.

Happy holidays!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.