AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Immersive SDI modded RP91. Using Audioquest 0.5m 75-ohm cable (which worked fine with the Digital Leeza) with an HDL, colored sparklies appeared. So, I tried using RCA-to-BNC adapters with a 3m 74-ohm Audioquest digital interconnect (RCA-to-RCA) cable; no video. Bought a 6-ft RG59 75-ohm BNC-to-BNC Radio Shack Cable, again, no video. Built cable using Canare BNC connectors and Canare L-5CFB RG6,

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Yes it's fundemental frequency is 135mhz (270mbs / 2) so it's an RF signal. But any of the cable combinations you mentioned above should work fine at those legnths.

I suspect the SDI receiver in the HDL is touchy. Perhaps it's PLL needs adjustment. I have been working with SDI since it's inception in the early 1990s. The broadcast industry had it's receiver design learning curve too. But today most of these problems have been solved by good chip sets.

I have built my own SDI interfaces in single sided PC boards with no ground plane and have had good results. The National and second generation Gennum chip sets are very forgiving.

I doubt Key Digital would use these as they are obsolete, but the Sony and Thomson SB1601/2 SDI chips are terrible. In all fairness they are a 1987 design and fab technology.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.