AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people here think will be the choice for the final connection to a display device, SDI or DVI?

Is SDI used in the high end video arena for connections to display monitors or is it used only for interconnecting components like DVD players, video processors, etc?

Are there any display devices that have SDI input?

Gaber

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
SDI is strictly a 480i input, so for most projectors you'd be forcing yourself to use the internal deinterlacer and scaler, and I don't think you want to do that :)

What you may be thinking of is HD-SDI, which supports higher ATSC HDTV resolutions. I'm not sure if HD-SDI is properly defined for odd projector resolutions like 1365x768, though.

So I think that between the two, HD-SDI and DVI, DVI is the more logical choice for a connection to the screen.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
SDI allows for a longer cable to be used (single 75 ohm cable) and is limited by what can pass through it.

SDI was designed for allowing broadcasters and other technical people to transfer video, without loss of quality.

DVI has multiple (3) streams of concurrent video (I believe the DVI standard now allows for audio as well) over a short distance.

DVI was designed to allow display systems to display digital data without having to interpret it (i.e., have the computer do all the hard work).

Display systems have DVI, output devices put out SDI.

The big question is who will convert from one to the other :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.