AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be very helpful to hear from people who are familiar with these two alternatives as they relate to DVD picture quality. All I know about either of these is what I have read here, but so far I have not seen any comparison discussions.

Until the recent anouncement of the retrofit option for DVD players I was ready to go to the NR at 720p. What do people have to say about SDI Vigatec and player alternative?

·
Banned
959 Posts
sdi vigatec for dvd playback would kill the NR. The rock is coming out soon with this option too. I would wait a couple of weeks and compare the two. My opinion only, your milage may vary.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I dosen't agree. SDI is only one part of the chain of signal transfer, de-interlacing. scaling and signal processing at various stages. I want comment on whats best, but the products we are talking about in this section - no product will kill the other, it depends on your needs and preferences.

Per Johnny Ødegaard

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With so many hits on this thread, why is there no more input?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the NR at 720p into an XG135LC, and

I have to say the picture is incredible.

Watch out for F's customer service. I have been

trying to reach them for a firmware upgrade and

have had no luck for a couple weeks now. I was

thinking about getting a second unit for my

plasma but I probably wont now.

Jon.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

I have to admit I am very confused about this SDI feature. And why would you want to get an HTPC and then modify your dvd player to connect to your HTPC.

Wouldn't the Faroudja NR with a dvd player or and HTPC onlone be better than the DVD SDI plus HTPC player.

I am not really sure but this option sounds intriguing. I can't wait for people's reviews of the new SDI.

And what is the difference of SDI compared to the Cinematrix mod that I could get for my current Sony 7000 dvd player.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
354 Posts
doesn't the SDI image still have to be scaled?

So, my question is how can SDI be better than a digital-out HTPC DVD drive directly into the scaler card of the HTPC?

Or does such a DVD drive not exist?

Is SDI really a way of getting HTPC like performance out of a scaler box while retaining the functionality of the scaler and eliminating the hassle of the HTPC?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.