Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo !

Is it still possible to use the dvdplayers onscreenmenu when it gets sdi upgraded?

And how long can the sdi cable be before it affects the picture quality?

Thanks in advance!

Kempf.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Kempf

On screen menus still appear.

SDI can be run up to 50 to 80 feet if using a good quality cable without the need of amplification.

DVI has a limit of 15 to 17 feet max.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Actually with an SDI signal using a cable that is equal to Beldens 8281 model the distance is about 1000'

SDI is designed for long distances

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi Alan,

it is even better. The VIGATEC SDI output drives tested 300 foot into standard RG 59 cables and 1000 ft into RG 6 cable. No loss,

no image quality reduction.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Hi Uwe

Very good news. While I new SDI could be used over a longer run I did not know just how far so I was being conservative with my answer.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kempf
Hallo !

And how long can the sdi cable be before it affects the picture quality?

Thanks in advance!

Kempf.
If the circuit is SMPTE 259 compliant, over 1000feet with the proper cable. Some of these HT SDI mods and cards may not however have equalizer chips to keep costs down. That's still OK since you should be able to go 50feet with plain old RG59.

As for picture quality, SDI or digital is a totaly different animal. Analog gets softer and noisy with legnth. A digital signal suffers from what is called a "cliff effect". That is a perfect signal then nothing. In reality borderline signals will have intermittent hits and pixel breakup.

On thing I have not seen discussed in all these SDI threads is that the SDI signal is scrambled. It's not a simple but fast UART like you PC serial card has. Because the clock must be extracted fromt the signal, the data must be a fairly even mix of ones and zero's. If you had a black picture for example, the clock could not be recovered and the receiver would free-run until a suitable bit pattern arrived. So to avoid this SDI adds polynomials to the data to mix it up and produce a good mix of ones and zeros. The receiver simply adds the inverse polynomial back to descramble it. This scrambling has nothing to do with any form of copy protection. It's a widely used technique in high speed data paths.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.