AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, it is time to get this build thread started. I have been lurking and reading long enough and it is time to get started on construction.

This is planned as a "budget" build. I say budget as compared to many of the theater rooms I have read about on this forum.

This will be a dedicated theater room with 99% movie watching and 1% music listening.

Here are the initial details that I can use to start dialing in the final plan.

Room Size: 21'-10" x 16'-9" x 8'-11" (365.7 sqft, 3,260.8 cuft)
Finished Room Size: ~21' x ~16' x ~8'

Equipment (so far):
Speakers:
Left, Center, Right (3) - DIYSG HT-12
Side and Back Surronds (4) - DIYSG HT-8
Atmos (4) - Beale Street Audio IBA6-B (Planned, but not yet purchased)
Subs (4) - Dayton Audio PA460-8 V.B.S.S.

Processing:
Marantz SR6013 AVR

Amp:
AMX Alero ALR-AMP-8 - 160W x 8 Bridged Channels
Behringer NX3000D (For V.B.S.S)

Video:
Epson Home Cinema 5050UB
Panasonic DP-UB420P
Apple TV 4K

Screen:
116" Wide 2.4:1 Spandex

Seating:
2 Rows of 4 Fusion Collection Seating 1011 Lagoon in Black Microfiber

Acoustic Treatments:
All walls covered with 2 inch OC703 with various "enhancements" for reflection and diffusion. All fiber will be covered with acoustically transparent fabric.

Update 1: I uploaded some SketchUp screenshots that I just finished.
Update 2: Updated some specs above and uploaded new screenshots of design (still trying to decide between Option A and Option B for side surrounds and Atmos).

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Wall Decoupling:
1. I installed rubber flooring under the sill plate, keeping the wall about 1/2 inch away from the foam.
2. I drilled 1/2 inch clearance holes in the sill plate.
3. Using a 1/2 inch concrete bit, I drilled a center point in the concrete.
4. Then I drilled for the 1/4 inch Tapcons.
5. The Tapcons were installed with a metal/neoprene washer on top of a rubber washer.
6. Top plate was kept 1/2 inch below the floor joists and secured every 4 feet with Resilmount A48R isolation brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sound Isolation Plan
So being that this is a budget build, I am only planning on 1 layer of 5/8 fire rated drywall. However, I plan to decouple the walls by building a room within a room and using RSIC-DC04 clips to attach to existing structure. Then I would do Kinetics IsoMax clips and channel on the ceiling.

First question, if I am only going to be using a single layer of 5/8 fire rated drywall, does it still make sense to follow the plan to decouple and use clips and channel on the ceiling? I am okay with some sound escaping the room, but I don't want to spend the extra money for the various clips if I am not really gaining anything when I am only using 1 layer of drywall.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Okay, it is time to get this build thread started. I have been lurking and reading long enough and it is time to get started on construction.

This is planned as a "budget" build. I say budget as compared to many of the theater rooms I have read about on this forum.

This will be a dedicated theater room with 99% movie watching and 1% music listening.

Here are the initial details that I can use to start dialing in the final plan.

Room Size: 21'-10" x 16'-9" x 8'-11" (365.7 sqft, 3,260.8 cuft)

Equipment (so far):

Speakers:

Left, Center, Right (3) - DIYSG HT-12

Side and Back Surronds (4) - DIYSG HT-8

Atmos (4) - RSL C34E (Planned, but not yet purchased)

Processing:

Marantz SR6013 AVR

Amp:

AMX Alero ALR-AMP-8 - 160W x 8 Bridged Channels

Video:

Epson Home Cinema 5050UB

Panasonic DP-UB420P

Apple TV 4K

Seating:

2 Rows of 4 Fusion Collection Seating 1011 Lagoon in Black Microfiber

Here is a sketch with the overall dimensions of the room as it stands today. I will be adding additional sketches to highlight the ducting and pipe runs in the ceiling that I have to work around.
Looks pretty cool. Have you chosen a screen material, size and aspect ratio as of yet?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using decoupling methods and clips in channel in the bones of your theater will allow you to correct the error of your ways later when you can add that second layer with Green Glue.

LOL, thanks BIG! I like how you stated that.

In all seriousness, I may not be in this house for more than 3-5 years. The extra DW and Green Glue puts me over my planned budget. What are the drawbacks, besides sound outside the room, if I don’t do that?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Sound Isolation Plan

So being that this is a budget build, I am only planning on 1 layer of 5/8 fire rated drywall. However, I plan to decouple the walls by building a room within a room and using RSIC-DC04 clips to attach to existing structure. Then I would do Kinetics IsoMax clips and channel on the ceiling.

First question, if I am only going to be using a single layer of 5/8 fire rated drywall, does it still make sense to follow the plan to decouple and use clips and channel on the ceiling? I am okay with some sound escaping the room, but I don't want to spend the extra money for the various clips if I am not really gaining anything when I am only using 1 layer of drywall.
Pay once cry once. I am sure the home theater builders will tell you to use the green glue and two layers of drywall. I am sure @BIGmouthinDC could probably even tell you the exact cost to do it the right way the first time, within a couple hundred. I know we all have a budget but since you are building from scratch you should do it right the first time. You are already saving on the speakers, screen and maybe subwoofer if you are going DIY. You could always use free store financing for 24 months for the Epson 5050 and divert that cash to the sound isolation? Just my two cents.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seymour AV has some very budget friendly AT screen material that people rave about.

http://www.seymourav.com/screensDIY.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmZDxBRDIARIsABnkbYQwcimWkDsYfQUylxca4dw06hc5X54l4K3yOAjzWI3YZsI3h3tNiTUaAvKZEALw_wcB

I have samples of their XD and UF as well as Dreamscreen and spandex. Right now based on projecting on the samples I would go with either the UF or the spandex.
Carl’s Place also has Nano FlexiWhite that I would like to get a sample of.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll join the chorus here - you're going through this effort to decouple and add clips and channel - find a way to get the green glue and second layer. The difference will be immense. Perhaps you go with a DIY screen at first (spandex) then can upgrade later as finances allow. Or as suggested above finance the projector. I think you'll be very glad you did.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
SDK Theater "Budget" Build

I uploaded some SketchUp screenshots that I just finished. I want to get some initial feedback on room layout. Once I get the initial feedback, I will make any adjustments and then put together some layouts with dimensions for additional comments.

Atmos speakers will be RSL C34E angled toward listening area.

For the back, there are two different options for the pillar location. I am not sure which one I prefer the most, so feedback is most welcome.

Also, I am really interested if the corner subs will work. Due to my rack location (already existing), could utilize the corners for subs. Otherwise they could go below the screen.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a couple of questions I need help with for sound isolation:

Question 1:
I am building a room within room design with clips and channel on the ceiling. The soffits will built as part of the room within room. What I mean is the framing for the soffit will be attached to the decoupled wall and then attached to the clips and channel on the ceiling so that the whole "inner shell" is decoupled. The "inner shell" will then get DD+GG.
Should the inner walls be built with studs 24" on center or the standard 16" on center?

Question 2:
Looking at the attached pics of the HVAC ducts and the intake and exhaust pipes for the furnace, what is recommended for quieting the HVAC ducts? Or should the soffit being built around all of it and attached to the decoupled wall and ceiling and covered by DD+GG be adequate?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts