AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the SE-13 HD and love it but people have commented my screen shots have a green hue/push to them in white areas or flesh tones. You can see this at my link below (screen shots are at the end of my album).

I personally do not see the green in the live shots but the digital pictures definitely show it. Is this a digital camera problem or does this pj have this tendency????

I love this pj and the picture appears perfect to me, but I have never adjusted the color settings or calibrated it. Any suggestions for Calibration or your color settings would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brett

·
Registered
370 Posts
When it is not broken... do not fix it.

You said the picture is PERFECT for you !!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bloomis

I have a 13HD also and absolutely love it. I had a bit of the green tinge myself but I only noticed it on certain scenes. If you go into the service menu there is a setting called green bright, if you take it down a couple of notches that should take out the green tinge.

****Important**** Write down all of your settings prior to making the change, you don't want to fat finger something else.

Hope this helps

By the way what are you using a source? Dvd or Htpc?

Your theater looks great

SG

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
You can do a quick calibration using Video Essentials or Avia. I found that the constrast and brightness settings needed some minor tweaking. Some individuals, myself not included, have reported good success using SMART with or without a colour correction filter. Given the low cost of the SMART program what do you have to lose?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SG- I am using Progresive DVD as my primary source Digital cable as needed for the occasional sporting event....Comcast HD cable is coming later this year for Detroit!!

I just watched the movie "The Others" last night and it has a lot of dark scenes and I really noticed the green in Nicole Kidman's face and fleshtones in general...It is subtle but now that I've watched closely I'm becoming more sensitive to it.

Please advise how to get into the setup menu and alter these settings:

A step by step walkthrough or link to a better post over at thebigpicturedvd would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brett

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just when you think your stuff is perfect someone has to point something out and then you start looking for it. If I can find a link to a good post I will otherwise I will post how to do it.

SG

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bloomiss

PM me and I will give you the link to a site that tells you how to access and has information on obtaining a service manual. I would post the link here but I haven't read the adendum to the rules yet......

SG

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SG- I sent you a PM......

BTW, I love your signature line........as an HT addict, I use that one on my wife at least a couple times a year......She just looks at me with that, "uh-huh, sure" face......fortunately, she enjoys it with the kids and doesn't mind too much.

Thanks, Brett

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had the green cast on flesh tone problem since day one (with two different PLV-60s). I've managed to reduce it by adjusting the Green Bright in the Service Menu, however, it is still not 100% yet.

I believe this is a common problem with the PLV-60 and some other LCD projectors including the Sony (I've heard of owners of the Sonys also complaining of this).

I'm beginning to wonder if it is an issue with LCD projector technology in general. Flesh tones are a delicate blend of RGB at various intensities. To get correct color, each panel and associated electronics must have identical IRE tracking. I have a theory that finding any two LCD panels that match perfectly is very difficult. They are electromechanical devices that consist of thousands of pixels (the liquid crystal and transistor pair). There is bound to be some variation in device characteristics during the manufacturing process.

When I was at the NAB show in Las Vegas a few months back, I found it interesting that all companies (except JVC) that were showing digital projectors only showed video clips that did not include people. Makes me wonder if they didn't want to deal with the flesh tone issue. At the JVC booth they did have clips with people in them and I did notice that the flesh tones were not CRT or film quality. I guess I've gotten more sensitive to the whole fleshtone issue since owning the PLV60.

I do plan to run the Service Manual calibration on my projector using an oscilloscope I have borrowed from work. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Ray

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
I get the green tinge on Input 1, RGB DB15, using a HTPC and PowerDVDXP.

I've also noticed the green in face shadows via Input 2, using RGB 1080i from a DTC100.

Curiously, the green doesn't seem to be there using a 1080i feed from a myHD PC card via Input 3, YPbPr 1080i.

Haven't tried the Green Bright in the Service Menu yet, but that's exactly what the green highlights look like- like the green input is just too bright.

My previous projector, a 1997 vintage 600 lumen XGA LCD, the Mits X100, had excellent flesh tones, so I'm not convinced that the LCD panels are to blame.

That X100 was driven by the same PC for DVD, same video card, software, cables, and DTC100 for HD.

I believe the color space electronics in the PLV60, or some digital color processing part of the chain inside the projector, is to blame.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ray,

I'd be interested in what you see when you go through the service calibration. I'd especially be interested if you have to adjust things for the HTPC. I haven't popped the hood yet on my PJ, but I've got an o-scope sitting in the corner collecting dust. Eventually Iwant to measure the cal waveforms to see if the output of my video card is really driving the projector well. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to your findings.

RGB, have you tried just playing around with the user RGB settings when showing the IRE steps from Avia? I've found that I can get a pretty good color balance using this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the exact same problem and in this forum learned to turn down the AV GREEN BRIGHT setting several notches and that helped a lot. Just hold down the up arrow on your remote for about 30 seconds and your in the service menu. Then scroll down with the down arrow to AV GREEN BRIGHT and turn it down SEVERAL notches (with the volume control) and the problem will be greatly reduced. When I got my HTPC, I needed to do the same thing to the PC GREEN BRIGHT setting. To get out of the service menu, press the power button ONCE.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pjfool---Thanks for the step-by-step walkthrough....I just received and printed the Service Manual for this PJ (Thanks Spacedghost!!) I will try and make adjustments this weekend and post results using before and after digital photos with a known reference DVD that shows this issue.

Photo's may not convey the true picture quality, but they hopefully will show the relative change of the same scene before and after.

Can anyone share their actual before and after Green Bright Settings???

Brett

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.