AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have owned this pj from SE since January 2002 and am very pleased to say the least. I have noticed some strange things lately that may just be due to me becoming very picky about the pic. quality.

#1 It appears that when using any source input; Dish Sat, Dish OTA locals, Dish HD or Progressive DVD that I can see shadows or ghosting behind many objects when the action is still or an on-screen menu is up.

Has anyone else seen this?

Is this an adjustment/panel alignment issue?

What causes this?

Can it be adjusted out by SE or a service tech

Now that I have had access to OTA HD and Dish HD it has really become noticeable (to me) but to the casual viewer no one has commented.

#2 On the right side of my 52"x 92" screen running top to bottom there is a 1/4"-1/2" band that is distorted/discolored. It is not a big deal but leads me to believe that something is wrong. I just zoom out just a hair so this discloration ends up on the black flocking material of my screen frame. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for both of these?

Thanks, Brett

Check out my HT and DIY 214L Tempest Subwoofer below.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Brett,

The following is a great resource for these kind of questions,
http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-...conf=DCConfID1

I would guess the vertical band you are referring to on the right hand side of the screen can mostly be adjusted out using the correct service menu settings.

The other issue which Jimmy may be hinting at is the type/quality of video connection you have.

I am using 6m lengths of quad shielded RG6 for component to my PLV60 and I've recently noticed an annoying green cast to the left edge of objects, faces etc... and a red cast to the right of same. This never used to be there. I suspect I may have upset my dodgy home soldered RCA jacks when I removed and replaced the projector last week.

Digital TV via RGB is razor sharp.

Try to eliminate source and cabling as a problem first then consider service menu settings as a potential problem.

Malc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jimmy I am running my Dish SAT/OTA HDTV and DVD signals using 18 foot custom made component video Monster Cable. I am running cheaper component video cables from the DVD and Dish Model 6000 to my receiver and using the Component video switiching function on my Pioneer receiver. I may go back and try running them direct and see what happens.

I have tried using the RGB/15 pin connector cable from my Dish 6000 to Input 1 on my PJ and the picture quality is very poor....It lacks any sharpness or color and almost looks like a black and white picture. I even tried running the DVD RGB output from my brand new Compaq notebook computer and got the same results. So I think something is up with the PJ or the setup menu on the pj for input 1.

Any suggestions?

Jimmy, unfortunately, I don't have a Porsche.....It took me a minute to figure that out, then it hit me. 914 just happens to be my b-day

Thanks Malc, I plan on trying the bigpicture dvd also, just thought I would try here first.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Sorry I guess I lost this thread.. Ok on the 914, I have a "yellow" one and took a shot at your sig. Now I can't forget you birthday bloomis914 :)

I have the SD 20HD so I don't think the menu's are the same but depending on what's adjustment's are available you may experiment with setting's - timings's etc. I was going to suggest something to try but then saw you hooked up a laptop to the VGA and got the same results. You cables sound good so your idea of bypassing the Yamaha switching is probably the last "test" you have before Contacting Studio Experience.

This kind of thing keep's cropping up so let us know how your's get's resolved.

Happy Holliday's

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response Jimmy. I am on vaction for a few weeks so I will have time to play around with a few different things.

I will post back and let eyeryone know what I find. Thanks.

Brett

·
Registered
111 Posts
Brett,

My PLV-60 had a yellowish strip along the right edge of the screen. It was an 'integrator' problem not fixable through the service menus. Had to send it in. The problem was described in the FAQ on the Sanyo site.

Frank

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fludolph----That describes one of my issues exactly!!! Is there a link to any threads or the site where you read about this>

Thanks, Brett

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.