AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Detroit Theater Build

So rather than start 50 new threads every time I have a question like I've been doing I decided to start a full build thread hopefully some of you can follow along and help out!

Moved into the house in 2015 and have been planning out the full basement finish ever since. There isn't a great space for the theater to go but the area I landed on is the best I think.

Room dims will be 27'6" x 13'6" x 8'6" height all at its biggest areas.

It will be narrower at the front due to some poles, down to about 12'1" or so.

Planning on a false wall that will eat up about 30" at the front and there has to be a rear closet to house some water equipment, along with electronics (great match I know) that will eat up another roughly 3'.

There are beams running across that will bring the height down to about 7.5' or so in some areas. May keep it mostly at that height or raise it up where possible....not sure yet.

Planned layout attached.

Plan is to get it framed out by March, we'll see how that goes.

Will do some portions DIY....some not so much

Will do staggered stud walls, DD + GG + the usual goods.

Riser needs to be about 15" for back of the room.

Equipment List - Mostly proposed at this point.
Projector – Sony vpl-vw295es 4K Planned
Screen – Seymour AT 120" width 16:9 using UF material with top/bottom magnetic masks Planned. Been going back and forth 2.35 vs 16:9....I think this will be more used for non 2.35 content so want the wider image.
AVR – Marantz 7705 Planned
AMPs - TBD, have an Outlaw 5000 I can use, but will need more. Planning 7.4.4
Front R,C,L – 1099s DIYSG Already built but have to redo the center...built it horizontal for a different room
Surround R&L – 2x or 4x HT8 DIYSG Planned
Rear R&L – 2x HT8 DIYSG Planned
Atmos – 4x HT8 DIYSG Planned
Front Subs – Built 2 Ultimax 18" but in 4 cu ft sealed stained boxes. Probably won't use them as is....but will need an amp either way
Rear Subs – Already have 2 SVS PB 2000s....but probably won't use them. Build something?

Streaming Devices - XBox One X For now

Seating - Not sure yet. Need probably 2 rows of 3....been looking at a few narrower options. Plus Bar behind 2nd row with stools.
LED Lights - No idea
HVAC - Thinking about a minisplit in the room possibly

Thanks unknowingly to @luv2fly3 for your build page initial post as inspiration!

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks unknowingly to @luv2fly3 for your build page initial post as inspiration!
Well I'm honored and am happy to help offer any insight I can as you begin your build. And if I haven't offered, you're always welcome to come for a visit and see my room if you're interested, especially since you're in MI. In fact, I've been thinking of putting together GTG for a long time now. Maybe it's time and could do something this spring. But regardless, you're welcome, just let me know if you'd like to. I've subscribed and will be following along!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very similar to mine. Build thread is here somewhere.
I'm in the planning passes and busy getting materials lined up and ordering DIYSGs etc.

Odd question, what are you using to draw your Floorplan and 3D with? years ago I did some designs with archicad, but that's before kids and a 8-8 job and the desire to build my own HT, so my desire to relearn that is not as strong as before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Side note - I’m moving right along with my build and finally made it to a Best Buy just to the latest tv pictures in person and only then learned of free in home consultations for ht designs. I was on the fence about projector-tv, in wall speaker terminals, etc. and wish I could have had them out sooner for pointers.

I explained my progress and asked if they will price match as I didn’t want to waste their time but the tech agreed and is coming out Saturday.

Apart from this forum I do not know anyone who has built a media room so a second pair of eyes or an “expert” opinion would have been great. Now I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very similar to mine. Build thread is here somewhere.
I'm in the planning passes and busy getting materials lined up and ordering DIYSGs etc.

Odd question, what are you using to draw your Floorplan and 3D with? years ago I did some designs with archicad, but that's before kids and a 8-8 job and the desire to build my own HT, so my desire to relearn that is not as strong as before!

I've been using sweethome3d to draw my plans. It's pretty simple and free

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been using sweethome3d to draw my plans. It's pretty simple and free

Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clearing out the basement now to get the space ready.

I have about 800 square feet of interlocking foam tiles on the ground right now....wondering if they have any acoustic properties that I can use?

Maybe line the area inside the false wall? Anyone used these type of tiles for anything?

Not exact product but something like these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everyday-Essentials-1-2-Thick-Flooring-Puzzle-Exercise-Mat-with-High-Quality-EVA-Foam-Interlocking-Tiles-12-Piece-48-Sq-Ft-Black/947869491?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227164826402&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=278058704762&wl4=pla-462431604180&wl5=9016845&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=947869491&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7aPyBRChARIsAJfWCgIPT0oB14WTZNhJDmgxwOx3ksRHXZBUUCvS_4s6xYmxEBs1o4mZ8ecaAnraEALw_wcB

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had a bunch of those prior to my build too. Never thought of using them in a wall. I'd probably recommend against enclosing them in any way just because they are not really designed for that purpose. And mine have a pretty hard surface, which I'm sure would diminish sound absorbtion. Plus honestly, Roxul or a similar product, that is made for in wall use, is pretty reasonable and does a great job. That's what I used around my whole room.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe use them to stuff the riser cavities? I dont know....just trying to not throw them out or deal with selling them.

I wasn't thinking of enclosing them in the wall but lining the walls inside of the space behind the speakers inside the false wall.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well I don't see how it could hurt to try them out in that way. Again if they have a dense surface I'm not sure how much absorbtion they'll offer, but can't hurt to try. Interesting idea.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been doing a bit more planning and cleaning up my space today and running into some questions.

I revised my drawing to be really close to dimensions it will be built to.

Red boxes are proposed subs, used full marty cabinet for reference right now.....figured 24x24x48 for about max size.

Black box at the back is where i propose to put my equipment rack.

That closet at the back has some water meter and equipment, I made it as small as possible with it being accessible if needed.

Was thinking about burying the rear subs and equipment rack maybe halfway into the wall/closet. Would these giant holes in the wall completely ruin the soundproofing effort in the area?

Should I waste the time/effort/money of building a double wall, double drywall etc. if I am going to leave 3 huge holes into that closet?

Leaving all of that stuff in the completely sealed back wall won't leave me with much room back there....the extra 16" or so would be nice

Added an updated layout pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Corner loaded rear subs? ok or bad?

I reconfigured my back wall, got rid of it except a small cabinet to hide mechanical stuff.

But this would leave the subs in the rear corners. Red boxes are proposed subs, black is equipment

Also, riser looks dangerous. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Was thinking about burying the rear subs and equipment rack maybe halfway into the wall/closet. Would these giant holes in the wall completely ruin the soundproofing effort in the area?

Should I waste the time/effort/money of building a double wall, double drywall etc. if I am going to leave 3 huge holes into that closet?
I don't think it's a waste to still do some sound isolation work. If your space will be surrounded by concrete walls, can you just build the closet in the back as a room within a room, as you would with the theater? If you do, then the sound isolation properties would carry into that space, just as they do in the theater. I'd do that if you can. That way, if you have an opening between the two spaces, you still have an overall sound isolation design in place.

Corner loaded rear subs? ok or bad?

I reconfigured my back wall, got rid of it except a small cabinet to hide mechanical stuff.

But this would leave the subs in the rear corners. Red boxes are proposed subs, black is equipment

Also, riser looks dangerous. Any thoughts on how to do this?
Corner loaded subs can work well. There are some great threads on here related to sub placement. Putting a sub in each corner is a great way to go if you have the room. Putting subs at 1/4 and 3/4 locations along the walls is good too. I'm not an expert and others can hopefully weigh in and offer some insight. But I've done a lot of research in my work to put my subs in place. I couldn't do corner locations in the back, so I went with the 1/4 3/4 locations up front and centered on the back wall. While my system probably isn't up to par with some, I'm very happy with the even bass I get across my room.

And what about the riser are you questioning? The height, edges?? I would put it across the entire back section of your room if you can. Even if your closet floor has to be a bit lower, just put a small step down into that space if you needed to. Or is there something else you're not sure about?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And what about the riser are you questioning? The height, edges?? I would put it across the entire back section of your room if you can. Even if your closet floor has to be a bit lower, just put a small step down into that space if you needed to. Or is there something else you're not sure about?
So the equipment in that closet is on the ground ...riser will be about 15". Not sure how to accommodate both heights back there. Need to keep a decent bit of space at ground level in front of the closet. Don't want folks in the back row to fall backwards into a pit though . I'll have to size all that up once the room is framed out

·
Registered
480 Posts
I still would say that unless you have to keep the floor down in front of the closet area, I'd build it up to your riser height and just put a small step down into the closet. You could just build a small riser inside the closet for your rack to sit on, keeping it at the same height as your riser. Or, I've seen several theaters where the riser leaves a bit of a floor level walkway on the one side. So you could keep it up all the way on the one side, and just leave a small walkway on the other side and put your door there.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts