AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Just got a Samsung HDTV with a QAM tuner and I think I want to try dumping my cable for an antenna setup.

My question is that what sort of setup would folks suggest given my readings from TVFOOL (btw - a great site!)?

According to the results I have stations in the Concord NH and Boston MA that I could pick up.

Given how UHF antenna's work are the signals close enough without needing to rotate the antenna?

I was thinking either a DB4 or DB8 UHF antenna.?.?

I can probably get a height of 20 to 30 foot with the antenna.

http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ome30ftwt6.png

Thanks

-Mike

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
You have stations in 3 different directions at longish ranges, so a rotator is a must. While all the digital stations are currently on UHF, WMUR-DT ABC 9, WENH-DT PBS 11 in NH and WHDH-DT NBC 7 in Boston are all switching their digital channel to the current analog channel after the analog shutdown. At 40 and 63 mile ranges, you need good upper VHF performance. That rules out the DB-4 and probably the DB-8 or the CM 4228 unless you add a upper VHF antenna to the mix.

Two alternatives: 1) The AntennasDirect 91-XG for UHF and the Winegard YA-6713 for upper VHF with a VHF/UHF combiner or a CM 7777 pre-amp.

2) Look at the new Winegard line HD769xP upper VHF and UHF antennas, mainly the HD7697P as you need the long range performance with a pre-amp.

Looking at the tvfool predicted signal strength numbers, you should be able to get almost all the stations down to WBPX-DT with a roof top antenna setup and a rotator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check out the Winegard, I am not familiar with that make.

-Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts