AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded my 30 GB PV-HS2000 Panasonic Replay Showstopper with a 160 GB harddrive today, using the instructions from the website below (RTVpatch and the image file) . Worked with no problem. Here is how: Bought a 160 GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive (8MB cache) for $80 (note, SATA drive doesn't work and the Showstopper only uses 137 GB, so bigger isn't better, but I couldn't find a smaller one!). Hooked up the new drive to the computer with the jumper on "cable select" (it was in the slave position on the cable, and of course the computers drive was in the master position). Ran Seagates diagnostics off the enclosed CDRom (to check for errors, there were no errors)(I didn't "low level format" as there really isn't such a thing these days--low level format will ruin the drive). Using RTVpatch for Windows, I imaged the target drive with the appropriate image file downloaded from below website (so didn't have to hook up my old 30GB drive to image from it), and I patched the new drive also using RTVpatch. Shut the computer down, and took apart the Showstopper (7 screws on the case, and five screws holding in the old hard drive under a metal box with a foam padding around it. Put the new drive in there, just using tie wraps instead of the foam blanket (figure that is better for cooling to not have it covered up??), put the original in the new Seagate box for safe keeping (it was loud, and I didn't want to bother with any heat control and having two drives installed). Put the case back together, and plugged back in all the cables on the back. It booted up great. I then did a factory reset (777 + zones on remote), then went through the setup. I set the modem speed back to 33 baud, because it has a tendency to not work at 56k (see instructions on the website below). It is so much quieter now, and I can default everything to "high" record level now, as I have about 50 hours of "high" recording capability (about 20 more hours than I had in extended before!!). Recorded several shows tonight, and it worked great. I have a HR20 Directv high def box/recorder coming soon, but I might cancel that now that the Showstopper is much more useful (and doesn't cost me $299 + $6 per month). Thanks for the gouge from avsforum, and the website below.

http://replaytvupgrade.com/

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.