AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having purchased several Seagate Barracuda IV drives (40 and 80GB) I am dissapointed with the acoustics of the Barracuda V series. The new 120GB Barracuda V drive is essentially silent during idle, however it is quite noisy during reads/writes, a marked difference from the IV series. I contacted Seagate tech support and while the person acknowledged a few similar complaints, it has not reached their threshold for recognizing it as a problem and his only suggestion was that I exchange the drive for another.

There have been several people who have commented on this issue here on the forum and at the Newegg website. Has anyone with a Barracuda Series V drive found the acoustics to be the same as the Barracuda IV series? I'm sending it back this week and the only question in my mind is whether to try another one or go with a different drive altogether

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have the barracuda IV 80gb and the barracuda v 120gb and i find no real difference between the two as it comes to noise. The iv may be a bit quieter but not enough for me to want to return my v.

Mike

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob4x20
reports say the V is just as quiet. you may have a drive or install issue.
The specs on the drive may say its just as quiet as the Barracuda IV series, the one I have is noticably noiser during seeks. I'm hoping the one I have is defective. Not sure what reports you are referring to but several others with the drive seem to share this opinion. Click here

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
My V is nice and quiet all the time, sounds like drive/driver issue to me.

Jim

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Maybe see if you can find the drive accoustics management tool on the Seagate website. I've read of some occurances where for whatever reason the drives ship with the accoustic management off from the factory thus making the seeks and r/w louder because the drive is set to performance mode. Runnit that tool will allow you to re-enable the quietness (assuming that's the problem).

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim: You may be correct, the drive was shipped back for replacement today. Hopefully its replacement will be quiet like the 80GB series IV drive it is meant to replace

cowtown: As per my 2 conversations with Seagate tech, there is no acoustic management utility or way to flash the firmware in a Series V drive. If you know otherwise, I'd certainly be interested.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I seem to remember there being one for the IV drives. I don't have a V drive yet though so I can't say for sure.

Could just be a crap drive though, let us know how the new one is.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harry,

Could you provide a link or specific reference to a utility for acoustic management for the Series V drives? Your comments directly contradict the information provided from Seagate tech support.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know whether there is a utility to program it or not, but the drive does support an ATA command to put the drive into "performance seek" mode or "quiet acoustic seek" mode. The Seagate tech may be correct that you can't flash the firmware, but you can certain write a tiny program or driver to do it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
AFAIK, all the (P)ATA 'cuda Vs ship with performance seek enabled...

The Intel Application Accelerator (check www.intel.com ) can be used to enable the quiet mode... I've done it, and it makes a significant difference, for the better

Eiffel

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having installed multiple series IV drives and NEVER loaded any acoustic management utilities, I tend to believe there was something wrong with the series V drive I received. I'll repost when the new drive arrives.

Eiffel, Thanks for the suggestion however its installed on an AMD board.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just bought a 60gb seagate V drive for my firewall and its VERY QUIET. If the bigger seagates are as quiet as this hard drive then I would recommend it over the Western Digital (not quiet but ok)

My other IBM hard drives were quieter but who wants an IBM? They die on you after a year or so with click click scratch scratch IBM death syndrome!. Seriously if ANYONE has an IBM hard drive bin it NOW!, because I guarantee you that it will die and most likely make you lose data. I was lucky (even the 3rd time with an IBM!) where I could read data from the hd, but writing to it was a non-entity. heh I have about 20 hard drives, going back 10 years and none failed, not even my 120mb maxtor which to this day spins up and works :p

3 IBMs, loads of weird scratch click noises, kerpoow!!! and 1 year later they are all dead!. Would I RMA them and safely use some more IBM's in my PC? heck no!, I wouldnt use them to keep my temporary internet files on let alone any worthwhile data.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i just bought two new baracuda Vs from newegg to supplement my htpc and my workstation. both are quiet idling but when reading they sound rather clickity. my IV is silent both when idle and r/w.

I do not have access to a floppy drive so i am unable to try the acoustic software from ibm. could someone extract the files to the floppies as per the installation and send them to me so i can make a bootable cd?

please let me know... [email protected]

thanks.

Leo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RTK
Harry,

Could you provide a link or specific reference to a utility for acoustic management for the Series V drives? Your comments directly contradict the information provided from Seagate tech support.
Seagate AAM utility

Seagate is probably denying that their drives support AAM, since they have removed the feature from the new 7200.7 drives for legal reasons, it is probably in their best interest to 'forget' that the V pata drives do in fact support AAM...

(Convolve sued Seagate and this is why Seagate no longer supports AAM : http://www.convolve.com/pr2000-7-12a.html )

·
Registered
65 Posts
Harry,

Interesting fact, but the 7200.7 manual still said that they support Auto acoustic management, and still have acoustic spec for both performance seek and quiet seek mode. Whether they still call it AAM or uses Convolve related technology, that I don't know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.