AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
To me, they are in the same general area, and you could take one or the other with little difference. Both are low-end but solid streamers with ugly UIs.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom /forum/post/0

To me, they are in the same general area, and you could take one or the other with little difference. Both are low-end but solid streamers with ugly UIs.

Thanks lol. Despite limitation are pretty solid as I do own wdtv hd and do like it

Any Seagate reviews?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have the pre-cursor Seagate unit to the one you saw (FreeAgent Theater+), which from what I understand is essentially the same box, just with a different name. It plays my DVD ISO rips and other files I throw at it without a problem, and I was always happy with its ability to play my different files. I just wanted something a little more advanced, with more internet apps and a prettier UI. The Netflix app on the Seagate was downright horrible, as it didn't allow you to do anything other than scroll through your instant queue one title at a time.

I've since graduated to the Boxee Box on my main TV, and I couldn't be happier. The FAT+ is now relegated to the kid's TV upstairs.

·
Registered
13,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/20213712

I saw this at Costco, how it compares with wdtv hd plus?

The WD Live+ has several significant advantages over the Seagate that should cause one to skip over the Seagate in favor of the Live+.
  • Live+ based on Sigma Chip, Seagate is based on Realtek
  • Live+ bitstreams DD True HD, the Seagate does not
  • Live+ streams full bitrate BluRay.m2ts over ethernet/DLNA without stutter or audio problems, the Seagate does not
  • Live+ has both local and remote (NAS) capability for management and loading of an attached HDD, the Seagate has nothing to enable management of locally attached storage.
  • Live+ handles GUID partitions for >2TB volumes of local storage. Not sure about Seagate, but given its lack of local storage management capability the question is moot.

I had a Seagate FAT+ and was happy for a while, but it was clear the Seagate was designed to be used with Seagate USB-powered portable drives. The Seagate user was expected to undock the drive and take it to a PC for loading and management. The fact that the Seagate can't stream BluRay content over ethernet means you need large local storage for BD. The lack of local storage management capability makes it completely impractical employ large local storage arrays. When Seagate updated their line of portable drives to the GoFlex series, they "updated" their media player to the GoFlex TV by simply changing the shape of the box so that it could dock the newer GoFlex drives -- other than that the internal hardware and firmware are identical. The design philosophy of their player is less a stand-alone media player and more as a docking-box for people who own Seagate portable HDDs.

When it was time to buy another streamer I bought a WD Live+. Now, instead of deploying to another TV, the Seagate sits unused in the spare parts box, likely never to re-emerge. Given the availability of the Live+ with it's current firmware, don't waste your money on the Seagate.

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
It was a good first box, when it was selling for $60 on clearance. I used it a lot to learn all the things it wouldn't do that I wanted and all the things I think I wanted but really didn't need (i.e. BluRay menus). That was it's purpose. It was also bought at a time when the WD firmware was still lacking. Now that's in the past. The Seagate hasn't moved past the capabilities of a $60 streamer but it's selling for close to $100 and more then the WD Live+.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts