AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 3TB Seagate FreeAgent external drive for backups.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148663

I use a program called HDSentinel to monitor disk temperature and other S.M.A.R.T. data. To my dismay, the temperature of the FreeAgent drive is 61C degrees. My other internal drives are between 35-40C.

Is this the result of poor design and ventilation? I don't see a very long lifespan for this drive running at that temperature.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Hmmm I didn't know there were any tools to read temps of external hard drives. I have the 2Tb version of that drive, but with USB3.0 being so bloody fast, and given I only plug it-in, turn it on, make a 5 minute image backup, then unplug again, the internal temperature is of little consequence. I didn't notice it was particularly warm to the touch after 5-10 minutes though.

It is surprising to note that AFAICT the enclosure, which at a casual glance appears to have ventilation holes, actually does not.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan /forum/post/20905153

Hmmm I didn't know there were any tools to read temps of external hard drives. I have the 2Tb version of that drive, but with USB3.0 being so bloody fast, and given I only plug it-in, turn it on, make a 5 minute image backup, then unplug again, the internal temperature is of little consequence. I didn't notice it was particularly warm to the touch after 5-10 minutes though.

It is surprising to note that AFAICT the enclosure, which at a casual glance appears to have ventilation holes, actually does not.

Thermal imagers will give you the external temperature.

Marker 2 is my AppleTV.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After upgrading to version 4.0, the temperature of the drive reads 39C instead of 62C. Could there have been a bug in version 3.70 that read the SMART data incorrectly?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have one of these. Using CrystalDiskInfo, I see it hit 60C also. This is a known issue with that drive. So far it has been fine. Since I use it for media storage, it sits in standby mode most of the time anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.