AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selecting the final components to put into my A-tech HTPC case and was wondering if anyone has any opinions concerning Seagate hard drives.

I have the ASUS P4PE mobo that supports SATA. Also, I have ripped 75% of my CD collection to .APE files that is currently maxing out my current 80 gig Seagate Barracuda IV. I am kinda shooting for 120 Gb or more of storage. However, the HTPC is networked on cat 5 to the offce computer. I would like to run as cool and quite as possible.

I covet the SATA drives, but they are $$/GB and I am suspicious as to the performance gains, if needed. Also, I have read that they run hotter than the parallel drives.

Also, from reading silentpcreview.com, the number of platters has a significant impact on the noise level.

My current plan is to get 2 80 GB single platter barracuda V's

Anyone have differing ideas? I am trying to take into account price, noise, heat, and capacity.

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on some Barracuda IV's?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I looked up the prices and the 80 and 120 GB parallels are the same $/GB. So I guess one other question would be.... would 2 single platter 80's be louder than a 1 double platter 120 Gb?

Scott

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Your best bet may to check out www.storagereview.com , they have a lot of reviews and info on current drives. That may be the best way to hear about the Serial ATA improvements (if any) that you are looking for.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read the reviews at storagereview.com but decided to return and refresh my memory.

Paraphrasing:.....the SATA does not offer convincing performance above the PATA cudda V. The SATA noise level was not measured but did run slightly warmer.

Concerning the IV versus the V:.............the V consistently outperformed the IV. Surprisingly the the 2 platter 120 GB V is quieter than the 1 platter 80 GB IV.

Conclusion: Forget the SATA (for me) especially with the advent of round cables. The V is better than the IV. So, it really boils down to what combinations of PATA V's do I want.

Thanks for helping me answer may own question.

I think that I will go for a 2 80's or a 120 +80 GB PATA cudda V's

Scott

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Heheh, I'm probably getting a Barracuda V 120GB drive to start and if I feel the need down the road perhaps another 80-120GB. I'd have to be doing a lot of PVR to do that though I think.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
achelsow,

Nice call. I ordered one myself. When Dell has their 15% off, they are hard to beat.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Damn, that was a smoking deal, too bad I missed it. :\\

Ah well a local shop as the 120GB Barracuda for $199 cdn and I can drive the 5 minutes to get it if need be. :p

·
Registered
850 Posts
They are still available at that price - the $19.11 discount automatically applies when you add it to your cart.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
A word of caution regarding the 120GB Barracuda series V drives as compared to the series IV. While the drive is essentially silent when idle, many people have commented on the relatively noisy seeks and writes. I am returning mine for a replacement this week and if it not gone, I go back to using 80GB Barracuda series IV drives.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks 90c4. I didn't realize that the discount didn't show until you buy!

I don't mind a little seek noise. It's the whine that gets to me. I've also heard others say (newegg feedback area) that these drives sometimes ship in performance mode. Seagate has an application that you can download that will put it in quiet mode to reduce the seek noise.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yeah for me not a big deal it will be more than 10 feet away from the main seating spot flush mounted in the wall.

Hmm, I doubt the free shipping applies to Canadians and as it looks they don't have that drive on the Dell.ca site.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is where all my hard work re-wiring my house pays off. I've got my HTPC in my basement directly under the home theater. The drive can sing along to the soundtracks for all I care. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.