AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I made a 5cuf sealed box with a tempest x2 driver for a friend. We use a Oaudio 500 watts amp, be he decide to put the sub in the middle of the room, and the amp clips during loud moments on movies (loud pop when the amp reach his limits). He does not want to move the sub (I try to change his mind and place the sub nearfield in one of the corners but he want to use the sub in front for more front impact. (See room drawing). So, I thinking in change the oaudio for a EP4000, but I am not sure if it is to much amp and can damage the driver. I can set it 1 channel for voicecoil (2 ohm) or bridge for the 2 voicecoils in series (4ohm). Any thoughts?...

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us [/IMG]

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us [/IMG]

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
build a second one and use the EP4000 for both

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will use the amp in stereo mode and connect only 1 channel to the sub, but I am afraid 750rms will not make much diference in output from the 500rms of the oaudio because he needs at least 6db more output so he can set the sub flat and listening at his normal levels . It is funny how a big driver like that can only take 750 watts if I remember correctly a kappa sub project that I build will take a ep2500 bridge, and it was a ported sub...

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Could still go bridge 4 ohm and keep the gain down. You want to get 6dB more from the sub? isn't that 4X the power it's getting now? The kappa is 12" I'm assuming that took an EP? Crazy. Ported should take more power than Sealed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He really do not need/wants 6db more output. The problem is that with the oaudio in some movies, let say startrek, (the sub set flat with the rest of the system) he can hear the distortion with the oaudio (a"pop" sound) at around -15 on the volume control on the receiver and he listen that movie at around -9 on the receiver. So we trying to find an amp that not distorts at -9 on that movie for example, that's why we thought in the ep4000 because it can deliver around 2000watts bridge ( 4x the power of the oaudio), but the problem is that the tempest "only" takes 1000watts max. The amp do not clip all the time, it clips on a few movies, if the oaudio had some kind of soft clipping and there was no audible distortion he will be satisfied with the output it is getting now...

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
the o-audio has some internal eq.

the ep4000 does not.

external eq would be required.

how have you level matched the sub to the mains?

experimenting with placement may give a better response. it is almost in the center of the front to back and side to side. that is a recipe for a big ugly null.

you can easily run a 2000 watt amp on a 1000 watt driver. it just depends on how you do it. you can run full voltage at resonance all day long and not overheat the driver.

just some thoughts. hope they help.

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
I ran 2 bridged ep2500 on 2 ported mach 5 IXL-18 for a year or so (build in my sig). I'd pound those things so hard, they would start to look oval LOL they were 800 watt subs.

don't worry about over powering sub, the powers not what kills them, the volume knob and "I wonder" moments kill them lol

·
Registered
4,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/19532296

I ran 2 bridged ep2500 on 2 ported mach 5 IXL-18 for a year or so (build in my sig). I'd pound those things so hard, they would start to look oval LOL they were 800 watt subs.

don't worry about over powering sub, the powers not what kills them, the volume knob and "I wonder" moments kill them lol

+1 Ever since I startd running at least double rated but usually4X Ive never cooked a coil. Only bottomed out. When I ran bad low power amps and clipped I cooked left and right.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
What subsonic filter setting is he using on the Oaudio amp? If he is using 12 or 16Hz, they have a lot of boost associated with them, more than the amp can deliver unless you are using very high efficiency enclosures.

The Oaudio amp can only deliver about 40V of clean signal.

JSS

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We set the subsonic filter to 20hz, and even at 25hz. but still distorts. I think that the real problem is placement, because the volume control on the oaudio amp needs to be set at half (12 o'clock) so the sub is level match with the fronts, that are set at -7 on the receiver (klipsch reference towers) and the sub is at -3 on the receiver... but as he do not want to move the sub the only solution is more power. After reading the replies (thanks by the way) I will use the ep4000 in bridge mode and tell him just to not get crazy with the volume... Now the ep4000 is a stereo amp that can handle 2ohm load, do you recommend to connect 1 channel for voicecoil?(the tempest x2 has dual 2ohm voice coils) or too bridge the ep4000?

·
Registered
8,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 /forum/post/19532736

Are you saying you ran 2 seperate subs to the EP2500 bridged from the amp.

If so I am running 2 ohms stereo. Would I be better to run my 2 Q18 subs bridged into 4 ohms instead.

Cheers

Graham

No I was running 1 ep2500 bridged, per 4 ohm driver.

I'm not sure if that would even make a difference, I guess you could try it out? lol

·
Banned
245 Posts
The EP4000 is an excellent amp. When cost is considered, it has no peers. If you do go with the Behringer, just be sure to set the DIP switches on the back panel to turn off the low cut off filter and keep the limiter activated. I've been using "pro amps" from Crown, QSC, and now Behringer for the past 25 years. The EP4000 is a world beater in terms of price to performance ratio - you simply cannot do any better in that regard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts