AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to diy a few 18s...any difference between a direct radiating (#2) vs indirect (#1)?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
# 1) Some high pass filtering, could also be problematic if the subwoofer driver has a loose suspension and sags over time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
With my own equipment, and heavy-thick-expensive carpet with heavy-thick-expensive-water repellent pad, I noticed a cut in SPL when I turned the driver and box to fire down into the carpet. I tried the boxes anywhere from a minimum of 2.5 inches to 6 inches above the carpet. The most noticeable SPL drop occurred when the box was at 3 inches and lower. This applied to my 10,12,15, and 18 inch drivers.

I've read that some drivers are soft suspended and MAY sag over time but I never heard what period of time or how much sag for a particular driver. I thought if there was noticeable sag firing down, you could fire it up for a while to compensate or maybe place a weight on the cone for a while in the up position. Kinda like stretching your woman's panty hose.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINEARX /forum/post/15419495

I never heard what period of time or how much sag for a particular driver.

It's based on the driver parameters. The formula can be found in this post . IIRC, the generally acceptable sag limit is 5%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin /forum/post/15421944

well the difference is nobody can kick the sub with their boot if they can't see it.

You can accomplish the same thing just by having the driver face the wall.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
front-firing with a grill, IMO. Just keep it out of the way of where people walk.

But as long as you give enough room and your driver is suitable for horizontal mounting then down-firing isn't too bad.

And here I was about to tell you that #2 wire is overkill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every sub design has it's advantages and disadvantages. In addition,

you have to take the driver parameters into account. Some subs are

better in ported, some in bandpass, others in sealed. Good place for

research is audioheritage.org

Primarily JBL products on the forums. 2242's being the monster driver

to use. I have built and used 4 in ported enclosures and shaken the

hell out of a 5000 sqft night club. Problem is the boxes were huge

and heavy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.