AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I built a sonosub with a Dayton 12" HF driver and a 250w plate amp. I ended up having to put the amp in an external box and run speaker wire.

Anyway, long story short I live in a new apartment and can't crank the bass like I used to. The sonosub doesn't really fit into the decor and I'm thinking about changing.

Here's what I'm currently thinking of doing: Getting the Dayton SWC-2 2.0 cf box enclosure, then putting my current driver and plate amp into them. I'd like to mount the driver so it's down-firing (I'd mount a slab of MDF 2-3" under it) and make it a coffee table, placing it in between the primary recliners in the living room. I'd also mount a top level (probably just buy a spare Dayton front baffle) 6-8" off the top to make it a 2-level table and bring the overall height up to 28-30".

I know I'll lose 10-15 Hz of low-end extension (22 up to 35 Hz) , but in my current environment that's not a big deal.

Any thoughts on this? Things I could do to improve the sound? Reasons it's a horrible idea?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
None.....it'll work fine and remember it's not the overall extension you'll lose but the 35hz you quoted is the F3 where the system begins to rolloff 12db/oct. Downfiring will help with some boundary gain and if the room is smaller, cabin gain may pick up the rest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.