AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I was thinking along the lines off 4 singles vs 2 duals. Then you would still have the option off stacking the singles to get 2 duals which would give you more flexibility. Hope that makes sense now.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Im definitely with GP on 4 single boxes. It gives him maximum flexibility. I would never build a dual box myself considering a single LMS5400 4 cuft box weighs almost 200lbs already, real life flexibility is completely gone building those monsters.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My current plan is to make the box 22x44x21 for around 4 cu.ft per sub. The front baffle, as well as the top and bottom of the cabinet will be 1.5 thick. I'll add 4lb's of polyfill per chamber.

Each sub will be powered by its own Crown XS1200 for what I'm guessing is around 2,500 RMS each?

·
Registered
739 Posts
With 2,500W per driver, I would not worry too much on a HPF for the LMS's. Those drivers can take up to 4,000W or so in a 100L box, so you have no excursion issues to worry about. If you want a little more low end efficiency and considering your power (2,500W per sub), you could give each sub 6cf or so each if you have the space.

Do you know how much room gain you have? Also, mixing your LMS's sealed and the PR Captivator subs you have might give you integration issues.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Did you send $$ direct to them or through someone else?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman /forum/post/20979689

My current plan is to make the box 22x44x21 for around 4 cu.ft per sub. The front baffle, as well as the top and bottom of the cabinet will be 1.5 thick. I'll add 4lb's of polyfill per chamber.

Each sub will be powered by its own Crown XS1200 for what I'm guessing is around 2,500 RMS each?

Did you build the box already?? I would recommend keeping that length down closer to 36inch so that the 1/4wavelength is not close to the operation ranges of the sub.

I use boxnotes.exe to show me what issues I can have with any set of dimensions.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/20989126

Did you build the box already?? I would recommend keeping that length down closer to 36inch so that the 1/4wavelength is not close to the operation ranges of the sub.

I use boxnotes.exe to show me what issues I can have with any set of dimensions.

Sorry, I should be more clear on the dimensions. And no, I have not built the box yet.

It will be 22" wide, 44" tall, and 21" deep.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The decision regarding how many subs is best made after you have measured the room and you only need one sub to do it. One sub in the listening position, moving the mic all over the place with REW. Paying special attention to the dips so that once certain positions are combined, the dips are taken out. That can give you useful data to help you decide. In a difficult room, more than 1 or 2 may be needed. In other rooms you might not find more very useful and you can then start putting multiple drivers in each box or whatever floats your boat.

Here is an example with just some mains + 2 corner subs overlapped:

Turns out in my room, two corner subs are slightly better than one and with the mains running down into the midbass a little I get a pretty good result. More subs in different spots don't help much. You might have a bigger room and more options, so the situation could be completely different. The key is to find out for your room then you are in a much better position to decide.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/20989111

Did you send $$ direct to them or through someone else?

Western Union

21 - 40 of 176 Posts