AVS Forum banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman /forum/post/21424818


I assume the loop test is:


Sound card output -> miniDSP -> Sound card input?

Yes, this is correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/21424858


Make sure you're running the latest plugin. If you're still having the issues, you're basically running into the same problems I did with the 2x8. No fun there.

I just checked and the release date on the plugin is 2/17/11, and I bought the miniDSP around September I think. File name is also the same.


How did you get around your issues with the 2x8?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman /forum/post/21424877


I just checked and the release date on the plugin is 2/17/11, and I bought the miniDSP around September I think. File name is also the same.


How did you get around your issues with the 2x8?

They published a newer plugin that had fixes in it and a different filter type for low end EQ. Go update your plugin to one that's newer, as I believe they have published newer ones since then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Using OC 703 I put bass traps in all four corners of the room. Red line is before, black line is after:




Since it changed the response I had to re-EQ, but music sounds a lot better without that nasty 51hz null I had before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts
Read this thread all the way from the beginning. Awesome job!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/1355597/sealed-dual-lms-18-5400-build/150#post_22739785


Read this thread all the way from the beginning. Awesome job!

Thanks!


And in case anyone was wondering, yes, I still have my tiny TV!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1355597/sealed-dual-lms-18-5400-build/150#post_21669906


Using OC 703 I put bass traps in all four corners of the room. Red line is before, black line is after:




Since it changed the response I had to re-EQ, but music sounds a lot better without that nasty 51hz null I had before.
Great build! Congrats!

 

Just curious...is this your preferred curve for your listening tastes (as opposed to flat)? I'm guessing yes, as the minidsp would give you the flexibility to eq to your preference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1  /t/1355597/sealed-dual-lms-18-5400-build/150#post_22740204


Great build! Congrats!


Just curious...is this your preferred curve for your listening tastes (as opposed to flat)? I'm guessing yes, as the minidsp would give you the flexibility to eq to your preference?

I've done more EQ since then, but I think I only brought down the 37hz peak a little more. Trying to raise 65hz does nothing, so it's just wasted amp.


I've heard theaters that were EQ'd to completely flat, but didn't like it. Probably because our own ears don't have a flat response, which really throws a wrench into "flat" since everyone hears something different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1355597/sealed-dual-lms-18-5400-build/150#post_22740252



I've done more EQ since then, but I think I only brought down the 37hz peak a little more. Trying to raise 65hz does nothing, so it's just wasted amp.

I've heard theaters that were EQ'd to completely flat, but didn't like it. Probably because our own ears don't have a flat response, which really throws a wrench into "flat" since everyone hears something different.
Do you have a variable phase for each sub? Adjusting that mix between the subs may help out the 65hz...or at least your ability to raise it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1  /t/1355597/sealed-dual-lms-18-5400-build/150#post_22740344


Do you have a variable phase for each sub? Adjusting that mix between the subs may help out the 65hz...or at least your ability to raise it.

The phase between the two is slightly different, since the sub on the right is further from the LP. I looked up my graphs and EQ settings, and the sub on the right didn't have as much of a dip, and I did EQ that sub to have a slight gain at that point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1355597/sealed-dual-lms-18-5400-build/150#post_22741593



The phase between the two is slightly different, since the sub on the right is further from the LP. I looked up my graphs and EQ settings, and the sub on the right didn't have as much of a dip, and I did EQ that sub to have a slight gain at that point.
Do you have the equipment to adjust each sub's phase anywhere from 0-180? In my experience, playing with the phase has resulted in drastically different FRs, as well as your ability to EQ your response. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1  /t/1355597/sealed-dual-lms-18-5400-build/150#post_22741722


Do you have the equipment to adjust each sub's phase anywhere from 0-180? In my experience, playing with the phase has resulted in drastically different FRs, as well as your ability to EQ your response. 

Yes, I can adjust the phase of each.


Getting a sweep from each cabinet individually, the responses look very similar, and playing them together doesn't cause any voids. Both by themselves still have a void at 65hz, it's just that one has less of a void than the other, but it's only 2-3db difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,475 Posts
Do you have any sweeps with the mains and the subs together>? When running the sweep, were the amps on for the main speakers? Try re-running the sweep with the speaker wires for the mains disconnected from the amplifier end, and shorted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd  /t/1355597/sealed-dual-lms-18-5400-build/150#post_22742205


Do you have any sweeps with the mains and the subs together>? When running the sweep, were the amps on for the main speakers? Try re-running the sweep with the speaker wires for the mains disconnected from the amplifier end, and shorted.

I'll politely ask you guys to ignore those graphs for now:)


Those are pretty old and don't apply much now since I've changed a lot in the system since then.


Within the next couple months i'm going to be completely remodeling my basement, and my theater room is moving to a different area. Right now it's in an 11x29 space, and it's new home will be 12x25.
 
161 - 176 of 176 Posts
Top