AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the home depot today to start on my sealed build. Since I live in an apartment and all the tools needed are 250 miles away (Texas is huge), I had them cut most of it. After it was all cut, I went to the checkout and the thing said it was 5/8" thick. Is this okay? I know it seems like a small amount less than 3/4" but for the double baffle, it's a whole 1/4" less. I hope I'll be fine

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
5/8" is an odd thickness for MDF at Home Deopt IIRC, so what type of wood is it? ply, particle board, OSB, MDF?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea it's MDF.

Tell me about it Dan. It was clearly labeled on the rack as 3/4" MDF 48 x 97" so I moved a few of the top ugly sheets over to get one in the middle that looked nice. I couldn't find the sticker with the barcode on it so I figured it was 3/4" thick. Once I took it to the cashier, she somehow found it immediately and it said 5/8". I got back to my place to compare the thickness of it to some of the speakers I built and it was thinner.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Just use more bracing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahah I would never use particle board. That really is bad stuff. Seems like you lost the bet on that mgboy
. Plus if it was particle board, it would've been a breeze to carry.

So just put more bracing everywhere? Instead of that 4" brace on the back, could I make a similar one with the circle cutout? But cut it in half? (If that even makes sense to you guys).

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasc07 /forum/post/14348035

Hahah I would never use particle board. That really is bad stuff. Seems like you lost the bet on that mgboy

Haha alright. =) I don't mind losing an internet bet. =D I glad you had the sense to not buy particle board. I did once years ago - boy was that a mistake.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasc07 /forum/post/14348035

So just put more bracing everywhere? Instead of that 4" brace on the back, could I make a similar one with the circle cutout? But cut it in half? (If that even makes sense to you guys).

I used 3/4" Birch on my box (double front panel) and there a brace at the most every 9" and that's 3-axis bracing, not just 1 or 2 axis. If you're using 5/8", I certainly wouldn't go any more than 9" between braces and would like to keep them to 8" or less.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dang. Seems like I should just go back and get the 3/4" or maybe even get 1" lol. I could use the old pieces for scrap. It only cost me $20 for that and some titebond ii. An extra $25 wouldn't be too bad I guess. I wish they would've put it in the corresponding shelf though.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Nah, just brace it. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
get another sheet cut and go tripple baffle? thats a big driver; with only dual 12s double 3/4 seems 'adequate' but not ideal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm probably just going to build some cheap speakers like the Orient Express by Undefinition or the Noobsters by augerpro or other designs. I was going to build some stands, but they were all under my seat height of 36". The tallest piece is 24" and even if I triple the bottom and double the top, it is 1" short. So I figured it'd be fun to build a couple speakers.

I also have this OCD kind of thing where I want things to be even. I really want to get another Maelstrom-X, and it would sub-consciously bother me to death if I knew one box was made out of a thicker MDF than the other

So sorry. I definitely answered my question haha. Thanks for the input though everyone.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasc07 /forum/post/14347761

I went to the home depot today to start on my sealed build. Since I live in an apartment and all the tools needed are 250 miles away (Texas is huge), I had them cut most of it. After it was all cut, I went to the checkout and the thing said it was 5/8" thick. Is this okay? I know it seems like a small amount less than 3/4" but for the double baffle, it's a whole 1/4" less. I hope I'll be fine

Did home depot also cut the holes for the driver or do they just do the square cuts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They only did straight cuts gus. So all I have in my apartment right now are square-ish pieces of MDF haha. I could possibly make quite a few speakers since there's no circles cutout.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasc07 /forum/post/14373356

They only did straight cuts gus. So all I have in my apartment right now are square-ish pieces of MDF haha. I could possibly make quite a few speakers since there's no circles cutout.

Ahh I was wondering if they would do the circle cutouts as well that way I wouldn't have to buy a jig.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Nope, they don't do circles, however, I'd really find someone with a plunge router to make the circles with, Jig saws are pretty tricky if you intend to do a flush mount.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea what army said. I'd also rather use a router than a jig. Guess it's time to start getting my own tools instead of using my dad's haha. Any recommendations for a router? Or at least some guidelines on what I should be looking for? Pretty much what I'd like is something with a 1/2" collet and variable speed (so I won't burn the bits correct?). I know there's gotta be other things to look for, but all I know is how to use tools haha.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
You can cut circles with a jig saw and a circle jig. You can make one with some scrap 1/4" wood. If you already have one, you may not need to buy a router.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Any recommendations for a router

Im new to all this and have only used one router in my life, I picked up a Skil on sell for and had a coupon for $65 but even at the normal cost of $89.97 I would say its a nice deal

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...825&lpage=none

lol on a side note building my first sub a few months ago made me understand just how lacking I was when it came to word working tools in the last few months picked up a router, a compound miter saw, a very nice table saw lots of clamps a compressor a full set of cordless tool and now Im building some nice work benches in the garage. Im having a blast getting into woodworking oh and still have all my fingers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts