AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have a few questions about recessed lighting. I'm in the process of setting up my multi-purpose/theatre room, and will be dry walling the ceiling next week.

Right now, the ceiling beams are exposed to hang my electro screen and run wiring. The room currently has 8 pot lights. While I've read these kind of lights are bad for sound escaping, I need to keep them, as I don't have room for sconces.

I plan to be double drywalling the ceiling w/Green Glue next week.

Is there anything I can do to seal these lights to limit sound transmitting to upstairs?

Also, is it worth it to re-wire the lights, so that the 2 closest to the screen are on a different switch? I'm thinking this may be a good idea...

Any tips would be super helpful!

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
With can or pot lights you can use the Air-tite models made by the various manufactures. I believe Air-tite is a trademark of one particular brand, but most manufactures have a model that has a sealed can.

If you already have the cans and purchased a model that was not a sealed can version then you can build an MDF box which is sealed, install this box in your joist cavity, run your electrical into the MDF box and install your can light within the box. If you use this approach just make sure you make the MDF box large enough to dissapate heat.

Without seeing your room layout I would say putting the front 2 lights on a different zone would be a very good idea with a front projection setup. There may be times that you want to have the lights on, but dim and still allow a bright picture on the screen and having the front two lights off will help in that situation.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I am pleased with mine. I suspect the bulb lifespan is reduced, even though my trim rings are open on the bottom. However they do see up to eighteen hours use a day.

I do think ScottJ0007's use of concrete board a nice improvement over my design.

And a big definite YES to putting the front two screen spots on a separate circuit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts