AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm getting the itch... again. I currently have two KEF TDM45B 15" 300W sealed subs up front. I bought one off ebay to add to the first, and did all my rehabbing to it, (resealed the box, reseated the driver, etc.), and they sound great together. I also have butt shakers in the seats. Everything sounds awesome.

I can crank up Top Gun to reference levels, (running the subs maybe 2-3db hot), and get zero distortion. I can crank up music BDs with zero distortion. I can crank up just about anything and be cool with these things.

However, I wonder what I'm missing. I have the usual "bottoming out" issues that people have with Inception if it's above -15 on certain scenes, etc. and I'm wondering what else I could be missing on other sources at "normal" levels.

I love sealed subs, and am just wondering what would be the best sealed sub for the money, or should I just plan to go DIY at this point? I love the idea of the huge 8 footers in Big Red's build, but those are ported too. I know I could go to twin SubMs, but is it going to be THAT much better for $4000+

My room is sealed, and about 2000cuft for the main listening area not counting the offset entranceway. I posted some pics in my original thread here... pics of current subs toward the bottom.

http://mirror3.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...php?p=20147281

Specs of current subs here... keep in mind, the Brits that made these have undershot other specs on the rest of the system...

http://www.kef.com/history/en/1990_2/thx/tdm_45b.asp

Thanks for feeding my addiction!

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Your current subs are rated at 35 Hz +/- 3dB. With in-room gain your subs are probably only extending down to 30Hz or so. With the SubM I am flat to 8Hz.
You will most definitely notice a difference with a SubM.

The SubM is an interesting beast. It is very subdued compared to the previous subs I have owned. It rarely calls attention to itself (unless you go crazy with the sub trim
), but when called upon it puts out incredible amounts of bass.

As an example, I was watching Percy Jackson last weekend and was noticing how quiet the SubM was. Then all of a sudden, when Percy was fighting the minotaur, the bass filled my room. Even the kind of bass that is felt, not heard.

It is hard to explain, but the SubM also does a superb job of reproducing all frequencies of bass. Have you ever noticed during heavy bass passages that some subs just seem to put out a one-note rumble for bass? The SubM is nothing like this. No matter the content, or the SPL, the SubM handles all frequencies of bass (at the same time even) without putting off a *one-note* bass sound. Again, it's hard to explain...

I have listened to probably a couple dozen different subs in appx a dozen different HTs/demo rooms/basements and have never experienced a sub that extends as low as a SubM or handles the bass as accurately. Considering the subs I have listened to this is saying a lot.

I have personally spoken to Mark Seaton regarding the SubM and he told me that he has spent a considerable amount of time designing the SubM to achieve the very attributes I have mentioned. Something else he has put a lot of time into is making sure the SubM sounds great even when pushed to its max output. Every sub I have listened to has, at one time or another, sounded *strained* (not necessarily bad) when pushed to its max. The SubM, IME, has never sounded *strained* in any shape or form.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
If you do decide to sell your sub's I'm sure it will either pay for you to buy something real nice from the Internet direct companies or build something really awesome for yourself. I built my own for under $1000 and I hit 12hz flat. Just an idea of how easy it is.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far... good info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.