AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I need recommendations on a sealed subwoofer. I currently have a Slim-Line Marantz 1607 receiver, Boston Acoustic A250 for Fronts and Monitor Audio Radius 225 LCR Black Gloss for center channel speaker and Sony 65" x900E for tv. The room is roughly 30x30. The wife and I are looking for a little more oomph in the base output for movies. The problem is we live in a townhome and while the sound proofing is very good and we never hear are neighbors TV's, loud music or conversations etc etc, I'm not looking to blast the roof off or crack the walls at reference levels. Just more base without hopefully offending our neighbors. Could someone recommend a sealed and very tight subwoofer? Really don't like those messy sloppy boomy brap brap type subwoofers. Want the base to be very tight. I don't know whether an 8, 10 or 12 inch would be appropriate? Perhaps 12 would be to much and maybe 8 might be to little? I was thinking maybe 10. While I would like Piano Black Lacquer (wife friendly), it doesn't have be that. Budget under $500 if possible.

Thanks.

Cheers,
RumbleFish

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,372 Posts
The closer you can locate the sub to where you sit will also allow you to keep the levels lower and not bleed sound into the adjoining structures/rooms/next door as bad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My suggestions, in order of preference:
- SVS SB12-NSD - currently selling for $400 on Amazon.com
- Rythmik L12 - $509, shipped
- SVS SB-1000 - $500, shipped

You may also want to consider the ported Emotiva BasX S12 for $399, shipped.

Thanks Banks & eljay! You know I was eyeballing that SVS SB-1000 on their website due to the availability in that piano black. That is probably all I need and won't upset the neighbors. I also looked at Emotiva. Very nice. Wife was like meh. Not exactly pretty, but, the price is right. Won't the ported subwoofers give me that loud, sloppy messy bass?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks Banks & eljay! You know I was eyeballing that SVS SB-1000 on their website due to the availability in that piano black. That is probably all I need and won't upset the neighbors. I also looked at Emotiva. Very nice. Wife was like meh. Not exactly pretty, but, the price is right. Won't the ported subwoofers give me that loud, sloppy messy bass?
I am afraid not too good/decent sub with tight bass will NOT not upset your neighbor, especially in a town house situation :(. the LFE always go through wall, one will be able to here the low frequency before the music hit.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Reactions: Leon!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts