AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
This to me seems to be THE critical question, since the entirety of the measurements-are-gospel argument is based on the presumption that these studies are representative and realistic/applicable to real-world listeners.
For a more accurate representation, I would rephrase it as "measurements are a useful tool" argument, but I guess sometimes you have to trade-off accuracy for controversy as part of the schtick. It is generally entertaining, nonetheless.

TBH, I'm probably going to be ordering a Umik-1 to tune my new sub. I managed to find a brand-new BFM (Bill FitzMaurice) folded-horn sub with a 15" driver up here, so I have some work ahead of me...
Congrats--good call. Which 15" driver out of curiosity?

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
For a more accurate representation, I would rephrase it as "measurements are a useful tool" argument, but
Actually, you are one of the few who phrase it that way. Most like to say/imply that folks should limit their speaker shopping to ONLY the ASR-approved "good measurements" speakers.

I have no objection to this "a useful tool" approach.

Reactions: MUDCAT45 and dkfan9

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
For a more accurate representation, I would rephrase it as "measurements are a useful tool" argument, but I guess sometimes you have to trade-off accuracy for controversy as part of the schtick. It is generally entertaining, nonetheless.

Congrats--good call. Which 15" driver out of curiosity?
It's one of the THTLP cabinets with a Dayton RSS390HF-4, as per Bill's recommendation: Tuba HT
I will be driving it with a NU3KDSP.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
fwiw, the 4.2 and C2+ pair extremely well, according to:
Hey Zorba, if I may ask what stands are you using to hold up your 4.2s? How tall are they from the floor to the platform?

Just preparing to set these up quickly when they come. Do you really need to keep the point between the tweeter and midrange at ear level when you are sitting down? Could it be 3-4 inches higher or lower? Thx.

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
Hey Zorba, if I may ask what stands are you using to hold up your 4.2s? How tall are they from the floor to the platform?

Just preparing to set these up quickly when they come. Do you really need to keep the point between the tweeter and midrange at ear level when you are sitting down? Could it be 3-4 inches higher or lower? Thx.
Using 28" Monolith stands. I think the tweeter is at or slightly above ear level where I sit.

If choosing between higher vs lower, I'd go with higher...for some reason tweeters generally sound better that way to my ears.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Using 28" Monolith stands. I think the tweeter is at or slightly above ear level where I sit.

If choosing between higher vs lower, I'd go with higher...for some reason tweeters generally sound better that way to my ears.
Measurements can tell you why ;) off axis usually suffers more above tweeter.

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
Measurements can tell you why ;) off axis usually suffers more above tweeter.
I think it's very easy to point to measurements to explain WHY you hear something, AFTER hearing it.

Something like a Rorschach test, but one where you already know the "answer" you're looking for. :)

Reactions: dkfan9

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I think it's very easy to point to measurements to explain WHY you hear something, AFTER hearing it.

Something like a Rorschach test, but one where you already know the "answer" you're looking for. :)
I think there's something to that, but physics dictate that a listener will be further from the effective reference axis of the crossover between tweeter and woofer if your ears are above the speaker and see more severe cancellations around that frequency.

There must be a reason for your preference, and that seems to me the most likely one.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
I think there's something to that, but physics dictate that a listener will be further from the effective reference axis of the crossover between tweeter and woofer if your ears are above the speaker and see more severe cancellations around that frequency.

There must be a reason for your preference, and that seems to me the most likely one.
A perfect example of what @Zorba922 describes is Erin's @bikinpunk review of the JBL LSR305 monitor. In the subjective portion of his review (which he always does first) he noticed a resonance at a certain frequency on a certain song (in the mid-fiels, ie: his normal listening distance) that drove him to distraction. That resonance was verified by the Klippel measurements (at one metre).

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Are wharfadale a step up above emotiva? Cuz t2 towers are same price . Endless stand options

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I think I have a phobia of center speakers.

I'm convinced that all of them will sound worse than my L/R. But, I want a center image for my other seats.

What should I do?

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
Reactions: GregLett

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I've seriously thought about it, but I don't even know if I can get one unless I can convince a seller to split them up, and why would they do that?

Then there's the issue of wondering if it's enough. In my mind, the center should be more capable than my L/R as movie content hits that channel hardest. One 6.5" is certainly weaker than my current L/R teaming up with two 6.5" drivers.

Reactions: banyar

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·

Good to know I can go a couple of inches higher ... just pulled out my old stands from the garage and they measure 30 inches tall. Filling them with fresh sand right now. The 4.2s will be here tomorrow night.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
I've seriously thought about it, but I don't even know if I can get one unless I can convince a seller to split them up, and why would they do that?

Then there's the issue of wondering if it's enough. In my mind, the center should be more capable than my L/R as movie content hits that channel hardest. One 6.5" is certainly weaker than my current L/R teaming up with two 6.5" drivers.
Ha ha ... dude, don't fear returning a center or 2 if they don't work with your 400s ... try a few 3-way center channels just like I am doing and see if they do the trick. I would have started with the C2+ if it was available ... in fact I will probably be ordering it soon just to see how it compares to the 4.C.

Go on, place some orders now! (y) :cool:

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I just looked up some high school math and calculated the angles and my left and right seats are apparently less than 20 degrees off-center to my theoretical center location. 20 degrees is just where things start to change for the RC263 but not to a degree that any less-discerning guests would notice. So I guess it would be "in play" along with the Emotiva. Intrigued by the Arendals though.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
^ The C2 is a much larger speaker. It's basically a horizontal tower.

The RC263 while not small seemed dainty to me after setting up my sisters Emotiva system.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I just looked up some high school math and calculated the angles and my left and right seats are apparently less than 20 degrees off-center to my theoretical center location. 20 degrees is just where things start to change for the RC263 but not to a degree that any less-discerning guests would notice. So I guess it would be "in play" along with the Emotiva. Intrigued by the Arendals though.
I'd be very surprised if you heard anything appreciable, especially during actual content. You might be able to nitpick something using test tones and careful listening but even then, unless you're moving from seat to seat multiple times during viewing would it really matter for practical purposes?

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I'd be very surprised if you heard anything appreciable, especially during actual content. You might be able to nitpick something using test tones and careful listening but even then, unless you're moving from seat to seat multiple times during viewing would it really matter for practical purposes?
With rudimentary speakers, yeah. But with the types of soundbar destroyers we're looking at, probably not.

I maintain that 30-40 degrees things do change though. But my room isn't that extreme.

Reactions: KSpan

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
When I upgraded centers recently it made a bigger difference than I thought it would, so yeah, I wouldn't skimp on it.

181 - 200 of 314 Posts