AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have a lot to offer this tread but it has made me finally pull the trigger on the emotiva c2+. I have been using the jamo s83 center paired with jamo s809 towers and two svs s2000 subs. I have no complaints with the towers but i was just thinking the other day how my center is slowly starting to be noticeably lacking with dialogue in my setup and I only sit 8ft away from the screen. I have always wanted the emotiva c2+ so i figured no point in waiting any longer. I plan to eventually pick up the T2+ tower, as I prefer towers over bookshelves for athletics.
Whelp I got the C2+ and hooked it up and it is impressive so far. Diologue clarity for movies/video games is on another level compared to my jamo s83 no matter the volume. I did find it amusing that audyssey usually sets the trim level for my speakers anywhere from 1 to +2.5 but gave the C2+ a trim of -6. Obviously the c2+ and my jamo s809 towers are not treble matched but I cant really hear that much of a difference so far but when 80% of the audio is coming from the c2+ I doubt it will be much of a problem for me.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Glad you are liking it. I think the price seems cheap for what it is, but the size rules it out for me.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Whelp I got the C2+ and hooked it up and it is impressive so far. Diologue clarity for movies/video games is on another level compared to my jamo s83 no matter the volume. I did find it amusing that audyssey usually sets the trim level for my speakers anywhere from 1 to +2.5 but gave the C2+ a trim of -6. Obviously the c2+ and my jamo s809 towers are not treble matched but I cant really hear that much of a difference so far but when 80% of the audio is coming from the c2+ I doubt it will be much of a problem for me.
There was one review/analysis of the Jamos that seemed to point to a compression issue with the speaker - meaning when the volume increased, the output decreased/got quieter. Could be why the Jamos were set that much higher than the C2+

If there's any difference in the sensitivity, that could also make up for the disparity.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
There was one review/analysis of the Jamos that seemed to point to a compression issue with the speaker - meaning when the volume increased, the output decreased/got quieter. Could be why the Jamos were set that much higher than the C2+

If there's any difference in the sensitivity, that could also make up for the disparity.
Can't say that I ever had that experience with my 809s - those things can produce some crazy volume, with respectable bass extension considering they're 3 5" drivers.

I have my 809s in surround position and have their EQ steadily dropping after about 1K. Above 6K or so I have it down almost 6 db... good value speakers but dang they're bright, or at least my pair is. Works fine in my Frankensystem (C2 center, Revel F35 fronts, S809 surrounds).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can't say that I ever had that experience with my 809s - those things can produce some crazy volume, with respectable bass extension considering they're 3 5" drivers.

I have my 809s in surround position and have the steadily dropping after about 1K. Above 6K or so I have it down almost 6 db... good value speakers but dang they're bright, or at least my pair is. Works fine in my Frankensystem (C2 center, Revel F35 fronts, S809 surrounds).
For my R/L front stage I actually have no complaints on my jamo 809s they sound good to me. Im also happy with my jamo s803 I use for surrounds, they used to be my front R/L before they got demoted. It was mostly my s83 center that I felt like just couldn't keep up.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Allright, that does it ... I just placed an order for the C2+

I'll put it head-to-head with the Wharfe-4.c ... this will either save me $400 or cost me $50 :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am looking forward to your impressions about Evo 4.2 and C2+ because I am torned between T1+ and Evo 4.4 (4.3 not sold here in India) since T1+ is quite cheaper. Waiting for how do they compare in sensitivity, loudness and level set by Audyssey for both. They are not available for audition and also no return policy.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Got my HT/Music system up and going for the first time (fix new Cable Matters Active Ultra High Speed HDMI 32.8' Cable, old cable wasn't capatiable) with the X3700h powering my speakers. First I listened to the Evo 4.2 with some music, I could have sworn at that time my C2+ was playing music at the same time the LR EVO4.2 were, with my old LR speakers there was a void between the two LR speakers far as sound goes and they were spaced apart fairly wide the Evo4.2 are in the same location as the old LR speakers. With me just getting through calibrating all speakers for the first time with the x3700h I double checked and the CC was not playing music, it was just the Evo4.2. I'm very impressed with EVO4.2 so far with the wide stage presence and feeling my open floor plan. I also watched Mad Max Fury Road and found the Evo4.2 and the C2+ did quite well together, the only thing on my list that needs to be upgraded is my old subwoofer, I'm looking into HSU VTF-15H. I will be doing more test with the three front speakers but for now it looks like the Evo4.2 are keepers for my space and ears. Good luck

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Got my HT/Music system up and going for the first time (fix new Cable Matters Active Ultra High Speed HDMI 32.8' Cable, old cable wasn't capatiable) with the X3700h powering my speakers. First I listened to the Evo 4.2 with some music, I could have sworn at that time my C2+ was playing music at the same time the LR EVO4.2 were, with my old LR speakers there was a void between the two LR speakers far as sound goes and they were spaced apart fairly wide the Evo4.2 are in the same location as the old LR speakers. With me just getting through calibrating all speakers for the first time with the x3700h I double checked and the CC was not playing music, it was just the Evo4.2. I'm very impressed with EVO4.2 so far with the wide stage presence and feeling my open floor plan. I also watched Mad Max Fury Road and found the Evo4.2 and the C2+ did quite well together, the only thing on my list that needs to be upgraded is my old subwoofer, I'm looking into HSU VTF-15H. I will be doing more test with the three front speakers but for now it looks like the Evo4.2 are keepers for my space and ears. Good luck
With both having the AMT, it makes total sense as to why they would blend well together.

You have no idea how tempted I have been to set my EVO 4.2s up to see how they are for HT. I got them specifically for music, but curiosity has me wondering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback. Thats really encouraging. May I know what is your room size? After callibrating what level was set by AVR for 4.2 and Centre, being difference in impedence? Please also check playing louder if Centre is keeping up with LR.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback. Thats really encouraging. May I know what is your room size? After callibrating what level was set by AVR for 4.2 and Centre, being difference in impedence? Please also check playing louder if Centre is keeping up with LR.

The C2+ will keep up with nearly anything it's paired with, guaranteed. It gets loud and stays very composed all the way up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The C2+ will keep up with nearly anything it's paired with, guaranteed. It gets loud and stays very composed all the way up.
Man this is how I would decribed my experence so far with the c2+. Before when my Jamo s809s were doing their thing it seemed like my old jamo s83 center just couldnt keep up even though they are in the same series. When stuff is really popping off on the screen I'd keep having to play with the center/master volume because my s809s were constanty overpowering my s83 making what coming from the center hard to hear/understand. With the C2+ its just isnt a problem no matter how loud or low the scene is, its impressive to me. And its all running on a denon-s750h no external amp in my setup yet, but I don't think i listen very loud maybe -30 to -25 for movies/video games.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I'm surprised it couldn't keep up at such low levels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh dear...think my wallets about to get lighter also. This Emotiva C2+ seams too good to be true. Im interested to see how much better it is compared to a Elac Debut 5.2 which never really blow me away but it is my first centre. Great discussion here.

·
Registered
22,288 Posts
Oh dear...think my wallets about to get lighter also. This Emotiva C2+ seams too good to be true. Im interested to see how much better it is compared to a Elac Debut 5.2 which never really blow me away but it is my first centre. Great discussion here.
I have never ever seen ANYBODY rave about ANY of the ELAC centers. Just like Polk CSi centers, the only people who buy them are those afflicted by the "brand matching equals timbre matching" popular superstition. :)

Reactions: Perfect_Pint

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm surprised it couldn't keep up at such low levels.
I feel like it was maybe the lack of clarity the s83 could provide so I found it was easy to get drowned and overpowered if too much noise was coming from my L/R/Surr speakers. This was a common complaint with the smaller jamo s81 center, but i felt like sometimes the s83 had the same problem. A case of a center channel being too small for my setup but also potentially faults in my own hearing. The C2+ of course eliminated that issue.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 · (Edited)
Man this is how I would decribed my experence so far with the c2+. Before when my Jamo s809s were doing their thing it seemed like my old jamo s83 center just couldnt keep up even though they are in the same series. When stuff is really popping off on the screen I'd keep having to play with the center/master volume because my s809s were constanty overpowering my s83 making what coming from the center hard to hear/understand. With the C2+ its just isnt a problem no matter how loud or low the scene is, its impressive to me. And its all running on a denon-s750h no external amp in my setup yet, but I don't think i listen very loud maybe -30 to -25 for movies/video games.
Ok, guys some progress was made last night after I got delivery of the infamous Emotiva C2+ center speaker.

The C2+ was compared directly with the Wharfey 4.C and I even made some measurements for your entertainment/education. The C2+ measures really good. Better bass than the 4.C allows cross-over to my subs all the way down to 50Hz ... the Wharfey has to be crossed-over at close to 100 Hz. Not too big a deal if you have good subs though. Also C2+ sounds a bit more detailed ... tweeter is tuned hotter I guess. Of course if looks enters the contest ... there is no comparison, Wharfey by a landslide!

I am going to start some serious listening tonight. But from first impressions ... the Wharfey is probably gonna be returned to sender :unsure:

Measurements taken with each center seating by itself (not on top of each other as shown in pic) and mic at MLP. Full range, no subs. Variable smoothing used for both measurements.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the looks of the C2+ over the Wharfedale.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the looks of the C2+ over the Wharfedale.
The picture doesn’t really do justice to the Wharfey … the craftsmanship is next level.

The C2+ matches the blue collar look of my Ascends though :)

Reactions: derekmoore

·
Registered
22,288 Posts
The picture doesn’t really do justice to the Wharfey … the craftsmanship is next level.

The C2+ matches the blue collar look of my Ascends though :)
This seems like a classic case of "You DON'T get what you pay for" other than aesthetics. Fairly predictable result, imo.

Reactions: MUDCAT45

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, guys some progress was made last night after I got delivery of the infamous Emotiva C2+ center speaker.

The C2+ was compared directly with the Wharfey 4.C and I even made some measurements for your entertainment/education. The C2+ measures really good. Better bass than the 4.C allows cross-over to my subs all the way down to 50Hz ... the Wharfey has to be crossed-over at close to 100 Hz. Not too big a deal if you have good subs though. Also C2+ sounds a bit more detailed ... tweeter is tuned hotter I guess. Of course if looks enters the contest ... there is no comparison, Wharfey by a landslide!

I am going to start some serious listening tonight. But form first impressions ... the Wharfey is probably gonna be returned to sender :unsure:

Measurements taken with each center seating by itself (not on top of each other as shown in pic) and mic at MLP. Full range, no subs. Variable smoothing used for both measurements.

View attachment 3145461

View attachment 3145462
Interesting results - when you measured, did you make sure that both speakers were level matched?

201 - 220 of 314 Posts