AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I propose a search for the worst PSIP clock provided by a local DTV broadcaster, and offer up the list provided by "Andrew Klausman" in the HDTV Hardware Forum for the Houston market to get things started:

Quote:
2-1 = +1 hour from accurate time (NBC)

8-1 = Only accurate time (PBS)

11-1 = +12 minutes from accurate time (CBS)

13-1 = -34 minutes from accurate time (ABC)

19-1 = +1 minute from accurate time (UPN)

26-1 = +3 minutes from accurate time (Fox)

36-1 = No time sent in signal

38-1 = +2 hours and 2 minutes from accurate time (WB)
Obviously, not sending any time at all is clearly cheating and grounds for disqualification....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Frank..... How on 47-1? our other Spanish station? Poor WB, their really out of it..... ;-) they also have a "big" switch problem on Sundays, that is, EVERY Sunday 4 PM - 6PM, it would seem. FYI and FWIW only.

Take care

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! No other markets have broadcasters with bogus STT clocks? I was hoping to provoke a nationwide search for the most egregious example, so they could be held up to ridicule by the masses.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Flori-Dah is by far home to the worst DT in the country, WOPX-DT 48 PAX Orlando!

Their clock is 2 days and 3 hours and 17 minutes in the future. This was the last time I dared to check. I now avoid the station because when you tune to them it deletes any timer events in the DTC 100. They should be fined for this incompetence.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mjones
KTTV (11-1) in the Los Angeles DMA is 61 minutes fast.
Looks like they didn't FALL back!

That is another big problem around here. I don't even bother with PSIP anymore because it is so messed up. I tell my DTC 100 to ignore it and would never buy another STB again unless I can set the time and tell it to ignore erroneous garbage data from these so called broadcasters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by satpro
Flori-Dah is by far home to the worst DT in the country, WOPX-DT 48 PAX Orlando!

Their clock is 2 days and 3 hours and 17 minutes in the future. This was the last time I dared to check. I now avoid the station because when you tune to them it deletes any timer events in the DTC 100. They should be fined for this incompetence.
2 days, 3 hours, 17 minutes is the leader so far.

Have you contacted the station chief engineer or station manager? If so, what did they say or do?

You could always try contacting the Paxson Director of Broadcast Development. His name is Paul Titchenal, and contact info can be found on the bottom of the most recent WOPX-DT application for license, which can be found here:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=67602

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yes, I have contacted this person via email 2 or 3 times and he had no response. I have also contacted about 5 other people related to this station because the local NBC affiliate is in some way related to the operations of the Orlando Pax station. No one has responded on this issue and I assume no one cares at Pax or even understands. I am through with them. It is obvious they are in minimal compliance with FCC rules for the DT, as they only run their transmitter between 8pm and 10pm each day. They also stretch 16:9 to 4:3 and do an off the air analog to digital conversion from their analog OTA signal. This is not digital TV, this is an out right spectrum squatter holding on to 12 mhz of bandwidth in the 20th DMA!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Frank,

I am curious how you are looking at that PSIP clock. I do not want to seem ignorant, but unfortunately the software and hardware that we are using leaves a lot to be desired. I think I am putting in the right time on my system, and it seems to be tracking very accurately, but all I see is GMT, (seems to be correct). I am assuming that somewhere in here there may be a Daylight savings flag that I am missing...

Thanks,

EZ:confused:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kprcdt
Frank,

I am curious how you are looking at that PSIP clock.
Well, it wasn't me, but "Andrew Klausman", and it was from mid-November. He was using a SIR-T165, which sets its internal clock based on the PSIP data provided by the station.

The original thread is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=191486

I believe your theory that Daylight Savings is involved is probably correct. It sounds like you have DS_status set to "1", indicating Houston is in Daylight Savings time, when, in fact, it is not.

Remember, the time provided in the System Time Table is GPS time (which is UTC - 'leap seconds'). The STT also indicates whether Daylight Savings Time is in effect anywhere in the viewing area. The local receiver must know 1) the offset from GPS time to local, and 2) whether DST is observed at the particular location.

More and more, I find myself wishing I had one of those nifty realtime MPEG Stream Analyzers....

·
Registered
25 Posts
EZ, I realized a week or so after I posted it that probably should have sent you an email. The reason I didn't is that I still consider this an SIR-T165 issue in that I can't tell it *not* to trust a time source. Sorry about not contacting you.

Anyway, with the Samsung T165, all you have to do is press the info button to bring up some of the PSIP data, including the time. The last valid time signal plus any internal clock counting is displayed. Luckily or unluckily in Houston, it was easy to see the clock change. That was also the way I could figure out that 36-1 (now 67-1, I believe) didn't have any valid clock data.

By the way, thank you for updating your time for those T165 owners out there. It seems that 2-1/2-3, 8-1, 19-1 and 26-1 all have time that is very close to accurate (within seconds). I know 13-1 was still off last time I checked.

Let me know if you need more info or feel free to email...

Andy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since this thread has caused some interest here is the Houston update for 12/28/02 at 3PM CST:

2-1 = Time is accurate (NBC)

8-1 = Time is accurate (PBS)

11-1 = +12 minutes from accurate (CBS)

13-1 = -56 minutes from accurate (ABC)

19-1 = Time is accurate (UPN)

26-1 = Time is accurate (Fox)

38-1 = +1 Hour from accurate (WB)

47-1 = +1 Minute from accurate

67-1 = +1 Minute from accurate

Of course 67-1 is the former 36-1. Nice to see that they are sending out time in their PSIP.

Now to get Samsung to add one more option to the SIR-T165 (option = trust following station for time)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Due to some freak atmospheric condition a few days ago, I briefly picked up a station from over 100 miles away and the other side of a 10,000 foot mountain. The station was Ch 23 KVMD-DT in Twenty Nine Palms, Calif. and it showed a clock registering some time in October. Not sure if that was October last year or next year.

Either way, KVMD-DT claims the record.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kprcdt
Frank,

I am curious how you are looking at that PSIP clock. I do not want to seem ignorant, but unfortunately the software and hardware that we are using leaves a lot to be desired. I think I am putting in the right time on my system, and it seems to be tracking very accurately, but all I see is GMT, (seems to be correct). I am assuming that somewhere in here there may be a Daylight savings flag that I am missing...

Thanks,

EZ:confused:
The PSIP clock should be GMT (or UTC as it is now called). The time zone and DST settings of the STB take care of the necessary offsets. This allows the time to be displayed correctly in markets that straddle time zones, or that may include areas that do not observe Daylight Savings time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.