AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been at this frigging computer all day. All I am after is a stand alone DVD recorder that can transfer DVD's to it's hard drive and then back onto a blank DVD disk. In other words, I wanna keep copies of my DVD collection.

My house has been broken into before and all the DVD's were stolen. I do not want to deal with insurance companies again unless I have to. Took me 4 months to get replacement disks.

Is there a free standing player that can do this?? I don't want a computer burner. I want a free standing one that will also allow me to record Pay TV, etc.

I have sore eyes from looking at the computer all friging day and have just taken a sleeping tab because I am now getting a headache from this bloody computer.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm unaware of any commercial DVD recorder that will copy protected DVDs in any way (direct to DVD-R or via HDD to DVD-R), and it is highly unlikely we will ever see one.

Your choices are:

1) Continue copying DVDs on the computer

2) Buy a DVD recorder and

a) buy a DVD player that has had macrovision disabled or that you have firmware updated to remove macrovision, and use this to dub your DVDs to DVD-R

b) buy a DVD player and a copyguard eliminator that allows you to copy your DVDs

I think with all of these methods you'll lose the "special" aspects of DVDs like menus, languages, etc etc and just end up with the main program.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The DVD recorders will also not copy the audio track in its full multi-channel discrete digital glory (5.1) but downmix it to two channel (DD 2.0 or LPCM).

Have you considered a house alarm?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xortam
Have you considered a house alarm?
You think people care about these any more??:D

Thanks to mobocracy. APpreciate the advice.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by whynot
All I am after is a stand alone DVD recorder that can transfer DVD's to it's hard drive and then back onto a blank DVD disk. In other words, I wanna keep copies of my DVD collection.
With Jack Valenti and the MPAA on the warpath, you're never going to see this happen. This kind of request gives them heart failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.