AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay! I started this thread because I pirated in on another thread and I thought that if anyone else had the same questions as I do, then they might benefit from me asking lots of questions.

So here goes.

I've been shopping for a new TV for several months off and on and nothing seems to light my fire. I really like Hitachi's RPTV lineup but I'm concerned about the huge footprint.

I live in a small apartment (it's about 13x13). My max width of picture would be 6.5ft wide. I would be siting about 10 ft give or take from the screen. I'm very concerned about PQ. I want a cinematic experience and really just wnat to be wowed everytime I watch. My viewing characteristics would be 50% video games (xbox, ps2, gamecube, maybe my pc) 30% HD (OTA so I would need a tuner) 15% DVD's and 5 % SD ( guess i would need to get a cable box if the the HD box doesn't already do it as well)

I'm really looking for that beautiful picture. I even somewhat like the colors to be a little oversaturated but not too much. I'm just really looking for something that will last me until i get out of college and law/grad school. I also would like to keep the cost down to 2500 - 2700 out the door with tax or including shipping if i have to order. Mind you, I don't have to spend that much But I do what something beautiful and If I can get it for 1500 or whatever, I absolutely don't mind spending less.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be mostly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Coming from someone who blew a lot of money during college and grad school (paying for it now w/ student loans), buy yourself one of the $1K PJs and save the rest for bills. For what you are doing, you would be happy with an X1, Z1, L200, etc. I have an X1 and am blown away each time I turn it on. Unlike the RPTV world, you don't need to spend that much to get the WOW factor.

Good Luck

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I'm on scholarship and I'm doing alright. The X1 is very very tempting, but i do have one question about it. What all do I need to get up and running? It doesn't have very many inputs on the PJ so what do I buy to accomodate watching SD, HDTV over the air, DVD, and XBOX? If I buy the DVI output samsung HDTV reciever does it have all the inputs so I can just run it to my pj or do i need something else? I'm just trying to add up all the costs. Maybe I'm stupid, but i just don't see how everyone is running all this a/v equipment to them and not mentioning what they're going through to get there.

Could anyone claify? I've been searching but i haven't had time to look much.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't think X1 has DVI . For component cable just buy compontent switch and you are done .. Go with PJ and not RPTV . I have 13x13 room as well and I am watching DVDs, HD, Games on 92" screen, and my setup doesn't take away space from my room, nothing .

In the future I might buy Plasma, but thats about it . Im am hooked on PJs and Im not going back to big boxes .

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do i need to hook up all my stuff?

I need to be able to hook up the following and view in the highest pq possible.

DVD player through component or DVI

HDTV from off the air transmitters

SD - pj's don't have tuners - can i buy one or will the hdtv tuner i buy work

with that as well?

Xbox - XBOX from component cables for HD xbox gaming

PS2

Gamecube

Should I be considering a different pj? Mufusic suggested this to me and i really respect his opinions and his eye for details - so i know it must be good.

If someone could just like step it out - what i need to do that would be great.

·
Registered
857 Posts
4x1 component switch box, will allow you to connect all of them to X1 . There is one component switch that also has built in Digital audio switch as well for $180, so you might want to check this one ... +

that's all you need nothing more nothing less

·
Registered
204 Posts
The X1 or epson s1 seems good for you given all of the 4:3 format things you list. Alsoms anything except an HD box will look pretty good at either S-vid or component(a bit better.) For multiple progressive component inputs (HD, DVD, XBox) you would need a component switcher and a VESA adapter(component to VGA input.) Each is not much $

There is a componet to S vid adapter for inetrlaced signals(except 1080i wich uses VESA), but this likely will not enhance the picture much.

Any tuner (cable box, VCR, TV out) is fine, but the picture will not match progressive and HD signals, but is still good. I bought a combo VCR/DVD HT in box from Rio (includes amp and speakers) for $200 and was set. Using off white wall, total $1220 (X1, HT, VESA.) I watch comcast HD- what a picture! Good luck.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
everything i watch except for a little SD and ps2 and gamecube are 16:9 so that is a priority i think. I have to have a beautiful picture. I've been looking at the x1 through the advice of mfusic. I"m also looking at the Sony HS10 and one other can't think of it right now.

I really want to enjoy DVD's and HDTV ( CSI BABY ). So I deffintiely need something that projects a true theater style setup. I'm not even home during the day to watch much SD so prime time tv is in HD so that's all that matters and the XBOX is 16:9 and HD so these are very important.

I just found the component switch box- that rocks. that will deffintiely work for the time being. Now - How do I go about choosing a PJ for my needs?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think it has been recommended several times already. Start at top and read down posts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.