AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bare minimum processor for my HT. Only have a DVD player audio connected to my current Lexicon DC1 (which is on life support) and amp outputs. Video connected directly to projector. Anyone aware of such a processor?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
Tanzy54,

From my point of view, a Lexicon DC-1 and the other high-end processors in its price range cannot be considered a "bare minimum processor" by any stretch of the imagination. Have you considered trading it in for an MC series unit?

Just what is it that you're looking for? What price range? What features?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably should have been more specific. The DC1 is a great unit but I only use it's audio featues. I am looking for a processor strickly for HT movie audio so I'm not concerned with using it for music. I do not require any video functions as the MC and many medium/high end units have. Basically as few bells and whistles as possible. The less features the better. I don't know if there is anything out there for me but I thought i'd ask.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tanzy54, May I ask what the problem is that you are having with the DC-1?

The Lexicon DC-1 should be everything you're looking for, with outstanding performance with HT audio and little on the video side. If it has been upgraded to the current level it should have all of the decoding abilities other than DTS-ES discrete.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is over 5 years old, upgraded to V4.0. Losing rear channels, intermittent. Lex wants me to send it back for repair but I think given the age, I believe it's time to upgrade. Being my HT system is used solely to watch movies, I do not require a processor with many features.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rick,

I think, after hearing your requirements, that you already have the processor you're looking for. Do you in fact have a DC-1? If so, do you have a 7 speaker set-up? And if you do, don't you watch movies in Logic 7?There are brand new processors on the market that are still technically inferior and don't have the capabilites of V.4 DC-1. I can't see how (again, considering your requirements) a fully loaded 5 year-old DC-1 doesn't suit your needs. Maybe you should just send it in for a tune up.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Hey, I will be happy to take that piece of crap loaded DC-1 off your hands :)

Seriously, see what it costs get that thing fixed, if anything. If the problems happened right after your v4 upgrade, then you can blame your current problems on that upgrade and hopefully have it fixed under warranty.

- Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Shawn

Yes I did. It appeared to work for a while but maybe that was not the problem. The sound appears to fade. I even soldered the connections no help. I live on an island with intermitent power problems. Many spikes, low voltage, etc which takes it's toll on my equipment. I do have everything on surge/power conditioners but they can only protect for so long.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shawn,

Yes I changed cables and even tried switching amps. No help. What I am looking for is more what they have in actual movie theaters, just a sound processor. I know the DC1 is probably the closest thing I wil find to what I am looking for but doesn't hurt to ask around. With Lexicon announcing they will no longer upgrade the DC and MC1 units, I just feel it's time to move on. You don't want to through good money after bad, not that the DC1 is bad, just old.

Rick

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you can lay your hands on a Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 that'll probably be great, and cheap too. Else, the Rotel RSP-976 is pretty affordable and simple. If you want to go even cheaper, just get a cheaper receiver with pre-outs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have you thought about a Bryston SP-1? It is limited in features, but is long on sound quality. I've auditioned one, and I was very impressed. I will be placing a order for one, for a Christmas gift to myself. The 20 year warranty and promise of a new upgrade soon, makes it a contender. Regards, pete

·
Registered
420 Posts
This message is for tanzy54

The gentleman goi who recommended a h&k sig. 2.0.

I sorry I cant agree at all. This being that I have a very reliable source within H&K. The reason why it was pulled of the market was that the was a software problem with it.

I actually considered this unit for my home theatre but went for a citation 5.0 with dts. These both look similar but not identical.

I actually was given this citation 5.0 new as replacement to my older harman kardon avp1a also know in the USA as fosgate model 3a.

This directive came from the man himself Dr Sidney Harman yes it made it (the issue) onto his desk. NO KIDDING AT ALL.

Full details I will not publish on the forum out of consideration to all parties involved. And as a way of thanking him and his staff at Harman International in Washington.

I would like to publicly thank them by posting on the forum.

Tanzy54 you should consider other processors from the Harman International group of companies. And yes I know Lexicon is part of the corporate group.:D :D

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Pete,

While Bryston's warranty is impressive,especially for amplifiers,who can possible plan on keeping a HT processor for anything approaching 20 years? I wonder how many board members have gone more than 5 years. Hmmm.:)

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.