AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do I buy from? I am new to HDTV. Mine will arrive this Thursday. I cannot figure out who I should go through for thge DISH 6000 & $9 a month offer.

I think I should go for the DISH 6023 system, which looks to include two dishes (1 reg & 1 HDTV), the receiver and HDTV, plus the ability to add on the module for HDTV antenna feed.

DISH DEPOT has it for $399.

ALL SATELLITE has it for $399 as well.

SATELLITE DEPOT lists it for just $340, but there are no details, so is this the same system as above?

INSTALLATION: I will need to get permission for installation from my landlord (I am on 2nd floor of old 2-family brick home). What is really involved with this and what will be done to the house (brick exterior, normal roof). I called DISH, but the person I spoke with couldn't answer that question in detail. I would want a PROFESSIONAL install.

None of these Net adds offer free install, so that will run me AT LEAST $200, so add this up, and it costs MORE than I would pay if I go through SEARS!

So what's the point?! With SEARS, I can get a free install and bypass all this BS.

Those that price-matched at SEARS, are you getting the DISH for $400, PLUS a FREE INSTALL?

Anyone?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cone on, guys! I wanna go talk to Sears tonight!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, can someone please answer this? It's a hot topic in debate right now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
DONT go to Sears. They have opened a fraud case on people price matching bc the online companies dont include free install and bc online companies require a 12 mth contract which Sears does not.

Read other threads on Sears.

Secondly, if you want a free prof. installation then you have to pay $200.

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One problem I have is that DISH is having "issues" with installers in CT and they say the only people thew know of to do installs is Sears! I called around my area and the only installers I could find do DirectTV ONLY. NO DISH.

So I am really sort of stuck here. I don't know how to proceed and I sure as hell know I ain't paying $699, plus $100 for the HDTV DISH, plus extra to install it! Via Sears, it would end up costing me over 1 grand, unless I price match.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You may want to look at dishking.com. They are offering a 6000 package for $299 as follows:

- comes with a single Dish500 antenna (extra dish avail.)

- does not include installation (additional $179)

- does not include 8vsb module

It does qualify for the $9/mo deal.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going through the same internal struggle here, although I think Matt's latest numbers are a little off. The Sears package for $699 is the 6023, which includes a Dish 500 and an extra dish for the HDTV content; I don't think you'd need to pay an extra $100 for another dish. And the Sears includes an install, right?

A question I have is if I bought the package from an online dealer, then purchased a professional install for $200; the Professional install only includes installation of ONE receiver and ONE dish; how much to install the extra dish, couple them into the receiver, etc? The Sears install, I assume, would cover all the associated work, but I need to ask.

I think I'll still try to price match; I think I saw a 6023 system online for $480, that only required me to be a new subscriber (no year commitment). Can they really prosecute me for fraud, wouldn't the online store be culpable?

Anyway, here are my costs if I go through Sears, as I see them:

$699 for receiver, two dishes (one for HDTV content), misc. acessories. Comes with free install

$99 for 8VSB OTA tuner

$50 for decent OTA antenna (?)

comes out to $850 all told. I could try installing a system myself but while I can put computers together, I suck with power tools.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drnomolos, Sears told me the installation is BASIC installation. Fre basic install means ONE dish. The second HDTV dish is where they get you and they start at $60 and up. They would not tell me up to what point.

So needless to say, I'm a bit peeved.

Sears also told me it didn't include the second dish, but I just called them and they admitted it did. I hate salespeople.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's unfortunate about the Sears installation, but in retrospect, I can't imagine them actually being honest. I mean, where's the money in that? I'm just about ready to find the cheapest price on the Web, buy myself a ladder, and install the damned thing myself. I rent an apartment so it's not my roof I'd be screwing up http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DISH customer service said all installations for $199 are for just one dish and that the HD dish will be extra.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Matt,

I'm in the same situation, except I'd like to have at least 2 recievers installed as well. Please post what you end up deciding to do.

-Brian C.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The following is NOT a paid advertisement.

Mark @ dishdepot is the kitties-tities!

He is da sh1t!!

He matched the best price online, on a 6023 system, ordered mine on monday, shipped out tuesday am. It'll be here friday according to ups.

Ive never had better service. He responded to my email within hrs... on saturday and sunday!

Ive checked into allsat, dishking and dss1. None were as friendly or as helpful. His awesome rep on this forum is well justified. You will be doing yourself an injustice if you do not go thru him. Considering he matched the best price, it was a no brainer.

[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is not a paid advertisement either..

I ordered mine from AllSat yesterday, and found Ben(the guy at AllSat) very nice to deal with over the phone. Answered all my questions, very professional, etc..

I suspect you can get the 6022 for well under $299.00 or the 6023 for well under $400.00 from AllSat. The other places will probably let it go for these prices as well. I can't tell you what I paid as a courtesy to AllSat, but you might want to mention the *************** group buy when you talk to him http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I talked to a few local places, and they quoted me retail $749.00 for the 6000 receiver alone with one dish. Plus another $100 for SW-21, $100 more for the extra dish...you get the picture. But gee, the install was free...for the one dish. I told them about the deals on the web and they wouldn't budge...too bad for them I guess, one lost sale.

The price you mention at Sears isn't bad if you don't mind paying retail and the install is paid for by Dish...so they aren't giving you a break at all.

I am not sure why you won't order online and save yourself $400.00 and just install it yourself. It is not that hard and when you move you will be in a position to do the install yourself instead of having to pay someone else to do it for you again. If it is only a 2 story building, get a nice ladder and get up there and have some fun. If you lived near me I'd help you install it for a few beers and a slice of Pizza. Maybe someone on the forum would be willing to help you out for the same price I qouted http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Good luck!!!

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
After some pricing research, I finally took the plunge on a 6023

The cheapest place I found was SatelliteDepot.com http://www.satellitedepot.com/Dish_Network/index.asp

$339.95 + $30 shipping to Atlanta

(This includes a Primary Install Kit and 5 Year Extended Warranty)

I’ll do the install myself.

I ordered on Monday and got the 6000 receiver today (Wednesday) and will get the dishes tomorrow (according to UPS)

·
Registered
787 Posts
i dont wanna get Mark in trouble either... but he did the 6023 for less than what everyone here listed... including the install kit.. and didn't give me any crap about it either. The allsat people seemed nice enough, but told me something like how backordered they were. They were expecting a shipment this week but couldn't gurantee when it would ship. Ususally this is a sign that I cant bargain so i didn't pursue them further. They did seem very courteous tho.

With dishdepot,I just sent Mark the best price i found in an email on Saturday, and within a few hours Igot a reply saying it was not a problem, saying the item will ship on tuesday. Monday I confirmed with my cc info and sure enough on tuesday morning I get a ups track number.

If only all my purchases were this easy. Shipping was cheap too!

I just want good etailers to do well and bad ones to suffer a painful death. Mark at dishdepot was definitely a find.

K

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So many choices. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif As for why I cannot install it myself, I rent. And my landlord has dictated that any such installs be professionally done. Cannot say I blame him, as the exterior of the home is brick.

My father just called me last night and he said HE wants to go DISH now! So this weekend I will give him a list of options and when he chooses, I'll see how his experience is and go from there.

My dad is good at building/installing things. How hard is it to point the DISH and get a rock solid signal? He has a clear South West exposure.

He would also need a 6000 receiver in the living room, and a regular cheap (non-HDTV) receiver in the bedroom for the 20". You can do that, correct?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I use a DTV with my Recreational Vehicle. I travel a lot and every time I get to a new campground I have to setup my dish. It only takes a few minutes to lock in a signal above 90. You punch in your zip code in the receiver and it provides the azmuth and elevation. You level the dish with a clear view of the SW sky. You set the elevation with the marks on the dish. You use a compass to align the dish in the correct direction. If you do not get a signal instantly, you can sweep the dish back and forth 10 degrees and then lower or raise the elevation a half degree. After three or four back and forth sweeps, I always find a signal.

The signal is a slow to fast beep. The faster the beep, the better the signal. When the beeps sounds like a buzz, you lock down the alignment bolts and go watch TV. I do this sometimes every three days when traveling. Believe me, it is easy.

Jerry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.