AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I had a long discussion this weekend at Sears in Portland, OR, regarding their Pricematch policy. As many of you are aware, Sears was unique among B&M retailers that they would match any price, anywhere, including the internet (+shipping) - AS LONG AS THE ON-LINE RETAILER HAS THE ITEM IN STOCK.

Sears recently ammended their policy as some on this forum have commented. Let me explain my situation and what I learned.

I purchased a JVC DVM90u Camcorder from Sears a month ago. It was listed for $1100. I purchased an 'open-box' unit for $749 (I bought the 3 yr service plan for $130). I was told by the salesman that Sears would refund any difference in price I could find within the next 30 days.

Last Saturday, I found this Camcorder at WorldwideDirect.com for $596 (+$24.99 S&H). I printed off the add and brought it to Sears. The salesman who originally sold me the cc said they had amended their Pricematch policy to "EXCLUDE SOME ON-LINE RETAILERS". He specifically said that they have a list of retailers whose prices THEY WILL NOT HONOR. They do NOT have a list of companies that are the ONLY ones they will honor. The reason I was given for this policy change is that Sears has identified several on-line retailers that will SAY they have an item in stock, take down your credit card number, and then ship the item 2 months later when they actually have it. WorldwideDirect.com was one of the companies on their list. The site said my item was in stock, but Sears argued that doesn't mean it actually is.

What I did was make them CALL the retailer. The person that answered the phone told them the item was in stock and Sears honored the Pricematch - gave me a $129.03 refund.

The manager of the home-electronics dept. complained that the E-retailer, when she called, sounded like it was being run out of someone's living room. But, no matter. There policy is any E-retailer, if it is in stock.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

I understand Sears position. When I bought my first camcorder 6-7 yrs. ago I learned of this tactic.

"Sure we can beat that price by $30 bucks"

Then 3 days later after the purchase they say they won't have it in stock for 6 weeks but they do have this "Other Model"...

I'd like to have Sears list of the worst offenders myself!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I tried doing the price match when I bought my Panny HDTV. The Sears's manager I worked with would only accept certain internet stores and I could not get a list either but I gave them prices from several different on-line stores and they said they were all "close-out" or "discontinued lots",etc. type of stores and would not accept any of them. I said that the panny I was buying was a brand new current model how could it be any of the above? The manager agreed but said they would not deal. Also, Sears said the price match would be the cost of the model PLUS the shipping charge (and of course sales tax on all the above) and they would have to have it shipped to the store since they did not stock it AND I would have to pay a DELIVERY fee or pick it up at the store! Bottom line - the manager said they would honor only Best Buys or Circuit City or same other big named e-store. Period.

I bought my set from the on-line guy (CrazyEddies) and saved over $600 bucks. The set works great!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Unless they have changed all of the signs recently, the stated in-store price match policy of Sears is:

"Find a better price? We'll match it."

And that's it. 7 words.

No *Except for certain online retailers; no *We only match pricing of Circuit City and Best Buy; not even *See manager for details.

And you should hold them to it. I have done this on Dish Network equipment 3 times now.

If you are not able to get the department manager to match a legitimate price from an online dealer (and this means the advertised price, plus shipping, plus local sales tax), you should ask for the number of the consumer affairs office in Chicago.

Call them during business hours the next day and give them all of the information.

They will verify the price and call the local store manager. If it is a legitimate price, they will intervene and give the manager permission to match it. Then they will follow up with you to make sure you are satisfied.

If they refuse to match the price, insist on getting a written refusal listing the specific reason.

Sears is not stupid. They have an advertised pricing policy that is a mile wide and their managers are told to make it difficult for people to get price matches. Most people will just shrug and pay the price because Sears depends on customers who are in debt with their Sears cards and somewhat a captive audience.

It's the perception of low prices, not actual low prices that Sears wants to offer but if you hold them to their policy they have to follow it. You just have to do a little work to make them do it.

And as far as a list of "acceptable" internet retailers goes, anyone getting that line should insist on receiving a copy of the list so that they can use it to shop for competitive pricing. If they are going to refuse you a price match based on a list, they ought to be able to give you a copy of it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Mongo, my Sears store did not have a sign posted. I was required to speak to manager once I requested the internet price. He called Chicago (he said he was required to do this, it was a new policy) to check the internet price. I even talked to the person in Chicago who told me what I posted here on this board. I did not make any of this story up. I complained that a valid internet store that had a current item (not discontinued) should be allowed. I got no where. The manager apologized and said a sale was coming up in Oct. and he would even give me his "discount" (he was a nice guy) but it still was not a good enough deal (and I did not want to wait) so I purchased from the inet store.

I am glad others seem to be getting this deal but I got squat. I will not waste my time again with Sears (I spent two hours dickering with them on this issue).

[This message has been edited by MichaelZ (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe this is a highly variable policy that varies from store to store. We have had reports on here of outrageous prices being matched without any documentation to the more difficult cases described above. I had a guy match the price here on an internet printout for an RP56 DVD. They didn't even have any on display, but they had them in the stockroom. The best deal I could get was for them to match the best price I had, including shipping, and then I had to pay the 6% sales tax also. So, for 6%, I got to take it home right then and not dicker with an internet salesman. Well worth it in my opinion.

I think your results will vary according to how alert the management is to the issue, how smart or stupid the salesman is, and how many other people have been coming into that particular store and department with internet price match requests.

In defense of Sears, you can find some pretty amazing prices on electronics on the web that will be impossible or difficult to actually obtain due to unscrupulous vendors using bait and switch tactics. While you may be able to find a Sears salesperson that will go along with such a deal, it is really not fair to complain when they refuse to match questionable internet offers. If the internet deal was really as good as advertised, you should be willing to go ahead and buy it from them if Sears resists. This is called putting your money where your mouth is. If the internet guys can deliver the great prices and good customer service, it will eat into Sears business and they will be forced to respond.

I went to two other big chains in my area that advertise price matching and they refused to match any internet prices at all. I expect Sears may have to follow suit eventually as there is no way they can make money at the internet prices. If you can get them to do internet price mathcing in the meantime, enjoy it while it lasts.

·
Registered
475 Posts
FWIW - The store down here actually has a list of online retailers that they'll price-match posted at their counter. buy.com and 800.com were two that I remember and there were one or two others on the list.

Mmmm.. consistency.

·
Registered
595 Posts
From Sear's website:

If you find a lower price on an identical branded item currently available for sale at another local retail store, Sears will match that price. Just tell your sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item currently available for sale and delivery in your area from an established online retailer, Sears will match that total price at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing online, email the information to [email protected]

Exclusions

Sears will not price match competitor’s bonus or free offers, special offers, rebates, financing offers, clearance or closeout prices, or prices on used, damaged or display merchandise, service contracts or automotive services, or installation, delivery, or assembly services.

Sears Price Match Policy does not apply to Wishbook.com, PartsDirect.com, Sears licensed partner websites, "Sears Presents" and Sears Shop At Home catalogs.

Stores in Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii will not match online prices.

Established Online Retailers

Amazon.com

BestBuy.com

Bluelight.com

Crutchfield.com

CircuitCity.com

Homedepot.com

Lowes.com Ourhouse.com

JCPenney.com

Radioshack.com

Target.com

ToysRUs.com