AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with sears, and they read me off a good portion of their list of 84 internet sites they will pricematch with...all of them are big companies like K-Mart, Circuit City...nothign that didn't have a real storefront counterpart. The lady told me they had been hit "real hard" with people matching prices from "mom and pop shops". I was really looking to pick up a Mistubishi HDTV, and have them hopefully match prices. I guess this idea is out the window. Any have any recent experience with this? Let me know -- particularly in Atlanta.

Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it kind of depends on the Sears. There have been reports previously of some salespeople denying all together that Sears matches prices, and some (like the one I bought my Mitsubishi 55807 from) say "tell all your friends that Sears matches prices, 'cause I'd like the business!

I don't know if you're near a Costco, but I saw the Mitsubishi 55857 in there recently for about $3100. That's as good a deal as I've seen (web or not) for that model.

------------------

- Jeff

·
Registered
345 Posts
Try hitting your local Good Guys. Look for open boxes or display models. They come with full warranties. Ask to see the manager and haggle the heck out of him/her. I got a Mits 65857 for $3,100 delivered. The in store price was $4,499, they had this open box one priced at $3,499 and I haggled it down to the $3,100. Go on a weekend morning before they get busy so you can have the full attention of the manager. Good Luck!

Steve

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
HiFi Buys in Atlanta ran an ad in last weekend's paper with some great deals on Mitsu's (I don't remember which specific models). Call around and see if they have any of your model left, at the sale price. Usually their prices aren't that great, but they run these once a year sales with really good prices on select models. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Try hitting your local Good Guys. Look for open boxes or display models. They come with full warranties.
This is a HUGE NO NO! DO NOT ever buy a demo unit of a projection TV! Those things get run 12+ hours a day with Contrast cranked way up! Yeah you'll get full manufacturer warranty (usually 1 year) but being a demo has taken 4-5 years off the life of the CRT's they way they are run in stores!

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Frank, I totally agree with you. Do NOT buy an open box projection TV. Maybe a toaster or cordless phone, but never ever a RPTV.

I paid only $3599 delivered for my brand new 65857 on 3/30 and have been very pleased. Pay the extra $500 for a new one, that "open box price" is actually the price that the 65857 has been going for at other stores!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Excellent point, guys. Some of the deals were for new units, but some of the deals were for demo's. Thanks for standing guard over bad advice!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I totally agree. Do NOT buy an open box projection TV, at even a ridiculously priced or warranty extension unit. Ask yourself this how many hours/days/months has this set been turned on? talking about burn in...WoW!
------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ooops. Well the story I was told was that this was retuned to the store because the delivery guys banged the right edge (it has a small scratch/dent in the plastic) and was refused by whoever ordered it. If this story was true, then I may be ok. The store I bought it at has never had a display model for the 65" Mits, just the 55" and 73". I guess they could have gotten it from another store though. Is there any way to test for burn in or contrast damage? I also did buy the five year warranty which includes unlimited service calls. (Yes, I verified that). The only problem Ive had with the TV so far is that a little bug is flying around on the inside of the screen... I sure hope it dies soon.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.