AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Mits through Sears and one primary reason was the quoted great warranty plan. They said if anything, ANYTHING, went wrong with the set I could exchange it down the road. This included cosmetic damage, power surges, etc. I ended up returning the set for other reasons, but when I read the warranty agreement in detail, it explicitly excludes ALL acidental damage, power surges by lightning, etc.! After speaking the the General Manager and he verified surges and cosmetic damage weren't covered, he asked for the names of the salesmen that quoted me the false coverage (which I promptly gave him!). At least I got someone in trouble for all my grief!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That is unfortunate that you were misled.

However, I don't see how a store can be held responsible for cosmetic damage in any circumstance other than during delivery. After a few years people would just kick in the side of the TV and go get a new one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I was looking in Sears a month or so ago, they were really giving me the hard sell on the warranty. The salesman specifically said it would cover against power surges and lightning damage. As a matter of fact, he made mention of it repeatedly. Someone else told me their father bought this and what Sears does is make you turn it into your insurance and Sears will pay whatever they don't cover. In most cases, they probably just pay your deductible. What a scam.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
No Extended Warranty will cover cosmetic damages, scratched screens ect....

Thats crazy..

I do know that Most plans do cover power damage in writting on the EW sheet customers recieve.

Both Best Buy and Circuit CITY cover Power damages and surges and things like ......

Sounds like Sears might be not....worth looking into

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Getting a warranty is real simple...never go by what you are told. Only go by what is in writing. When you have a question about a warranty, ask to see the actual policy. If you have questions about what something actually means in writing, take it to your attorney for interpretation. Anything else and you are asking for trouble.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Getting a warranty is real simple...never go by what you are told. Only go by what is in writing. When you have a question about a warranty, ask to see the actual policy. If you have questions about what something actually means in writing, take it to your attorney for interpretation. Anything else and you are asking for trouble.
Yes!

If it is not in writing, it's probably not covered.

If it is, then you have legal backing if they decide not to cover it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Only go by what is in writing
That's exactly why after saying "I do" you are asked to sign the papers :D

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I was told that you could exchange or return a set purchased at Sears for ANY reason within the first 30-days. After that, you are at the mercy of technitions for repair.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think even the 30 day window is negotiable (that may not be in writing either!). I was worried the salesdorks were stalling to get me past the 30 day window, but in talking directly with the STORE manager he said there's no 30 day in this case and he would take care of it. Naturally I had him write that down and sign it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
No Extended Warranty will cover cosmetic damages, scratched screens ect....

Thats crazy..

I do know that Most plans do cover power damage in writting on the EW sheet customers recieve.

Both Best Buy and Circuit CITY cover Power damages and surges and things like ......

Sounds like Sears might be not....worth looking into
No, Sears says it will cover power surges. And it is in one of the brochures that they use. Haven't seen it in action though...

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.