AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I would agree with you, you can't really expect them to price match a web site price. Sears is still a store with rent and a ton of employees to pay. I can understand their inability to match "Crazy Eddie's" web price on a Dish 6000. You'll find that inflexability every store you hit. If the Dish 6000 is that much cheaper online, simply buy it online.

------------------

Michael Mullis

Director of US Operations

Next Level Gaming
http://www.nlgaming.com

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Then what I have to say to that is simply this: They shouldn't advertise that they will price match and then surprise the customer after they arrive in the store that there are caveats to their scheme. I couldn't care less about their bottom line.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So what your saying is they would rather have the 6000 depreciate while in their inventory and wait till Dish Networks gives them a dealer incentive to sell the thing 10 months later? That ain't good business. You always want to sell most of your products within 90 days. Anything after 90 days you should blow it out. There are always newer products coming to market and you would rather have room for the newer product than the older ones.

------------------
Only in America.....Don King

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You should try another Sears. Some are more reluctant to do this than others.

They also might be sensitive on the 6000 because a couple of weeks ago a sales guy at a Sears sold a bunch of them at way below their cost to people all over the country after one guy got a good price and the sales dude told him he would sell them to anyone else at the same price. He got quite a few orders on that I'm sure after it was posted to 2 or 3 forums.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was the one who posted about the Sears. You should definitely try diff Sears. My local Sears would not price match so I started calling different Sears until I found one which was willing to price match.

I did not want to buy online bc I would have to sign a 12 month contract. Sears does not require that.

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have not tried to have Sears match the price but their website states:

"If you find a lower price on an identical branded item currently available for sale at another local retail store, Sears will match that price. Just tell your sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item currently available for sale and delivery in your area from an established online retailer, Sears will match that total price at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing online, email the information to [email protected] "

The best bet is to try another location and see what happens.

Bill

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I went to my local Sears yesterday and inquired about a price match for the Dish 6000. They would not accept my proven web sites (I printed several sites) because it didn't meet thier criteria of "Established Internet Sites". I was about to buy a 3K Hitachi and they still would not budge from the $699 price they have on the Dish 6000. I walked out. But the shame of it all is that they really didn't care. :mad

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
But here is their "List" of "Established" sites from Sears homepage:

Established Online Retailers

Amazon.com

BestBuy.com

Bluelight.com

Crutchfield.com

CircuitCity.com

Homedepot.com

Lowes.com Ourhouse.com

JCPenney.com

Radioshack.com

Target.com

ToysRUs.com

Walmart.com

800.com

Forget the others.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had Sears B&M pricematch a 47" Panny and it took alot of visits to different Sears locations and talking to different salespeople. Keep trying and eventually you will be rewarded!

·
Banned
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HeyNow^:
I went to my local Sears yesterday and inquired about a price match for the Dish 6000. They would not accept my proven web sites (I printed several sites) because it didn't meet thier criteria of "Established Internet Sites". I was about to buy a 3K Hitachi and they still would not budge from the $699 price they have on the Dish 6000. I walked out. But the shame of it all is that they really didn't care. :mad

We own/operate a few different stores including A/V and another one. We often laugh when a customer tells us he is never going to buy from us again because we wont sell him merchandise "below" our cost.

The price matching that Sears has done is coming to an end, although you can still find a few unaware store clerks/managers at some Sears stores, but that will soon disappear.

People just don't seem to understand that we are not going to loose any sleep over the fact that we will not loose money on a customer to keep them happy .... and neither would any of you that were in business !

Just some food for thought...

Frapp -

·
Registered
399 Posts
The Sears store I was in the other day had a big sign over the electronics.

It said:

Find a better price? We'll match it.

7 words. No *, no fine print, no "exclusions apply", no "see store manager for details". Just 7 words.

Now, as a consumer, I think Sears should honor their pricing policy and if they want to merchandise it as 7 simple words then they should honor what those 7 words say.

Other retailers have price match policies that *do* have exclusions and they always have a notation regarding the nature of the exclusion whenever the policy is displayed.

To be honest, I intend to visit my local Sears and photograph the signage, then ask for a price match. If they will not give it to me, I will ask them to put in writing the specific reason why that particular price is excluded from their policy. Then I will pay them full price for their merchandise and file suit against them for the difference in price.

There is plenty of precedant for retailers being explicit about their pricing policies. Sears has lost a few of them, as has Circuit City as I recall.

I don't object to the fact that they have exclusions but I do object to the fact that they are not honest about them and that they "move the target" every time you show them a different offer that satisfies what they objected to in the previous one.

Mongo

·
Banned
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed:
I did not want to buy online bc I would have to sign a 12 month contract. Sears does not require that.

The times they are a changing....

Frapp -

·
Banned
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HeyNow^:
Then what I have to say to that is simply this: They shouldn't advertise that they will price match and then surprise the customer after they arrive in the store that there are caveats to their scheme. I couldn't care less about their bottom line.
Many stores these days do have a good price matching policy, it is some of the customers that have a scheme in mind, not the stores.....

Frapp -

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is getting harder to get a price match on many Home electronics and appliances from som retailers in So Cal. Last October, I was looking for several new items (washer,dryer,range, tv, etc.) for my new home. I went to Howard's (a local chain) to by Maytag Neptune Appliances. They had a price match Policy. When I presented the salesman with proof of a lower price elsewhere, he lokked up som information on his computer. Ten minutes later, he told me the price was "below" cost and he could not match it. I used to be in retail so, I asked him "what kind of rebates or incentives is the manufacturer or the utility companies offering the store for each unit moved". He went silent. As an accountant , I realize that a business needs to make money to survive. But I also realize that Invoice price and "true" cost are totally different. Even when I told the salesperson I was in the market for a Range, Dishwasher and refridgerator, he balked. Too Bad. He lost a current and future sale. All these items together totalled over $5,000. He must have met his monthly quota already.

I tried to get a price match from officemax.com on some software last month. I had to fill out a long form that asked for price, url, item number, description, complete price with next day shipping. This was to get a lousy $20.

After waiting 3 weeks and not hearing back from them, i called. After talking to 3 different people, I was told the price would not be matched because OM had a bundle offer that I paid $50 more for and the other website didn't.

My solution? I took the software back to OM(it was unopened), and bought the software elsewhere.

I understand this forum is not fr software, but this is just an example of how price match policies are changing to bbe totally pro-retailer.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mongo:
The Sears store I was in the other day had a big sign over the electronics.

It said:

Find a better price? We'll match it.

7 words. No *, no fine print, no "exclusions apply", no "see store manager for details". Just 7 words.

Now, as a consumer, I think Sears should honor their pricing policy and if they want to merchandise it as 7 simple words then they should honor what those 7 words say.

Other retailers have price match policies that *do* have exclusions and they always have a notation regarding the nature of the exclusion whenever the policy is displayed.

To be honest, I intend to visit my local Sears and photograph the signage, then ask for a price match. If they will not give it to me, I will ask them to put in writing the specific reason why that particular price is excluded from their policy. Then I will pay them full price for their merchandise and file suit against them for the difference in price.

There is plenty of precedant for retailers being explicit about their pricing policies. Sears has lost a few of them, as has Circuit City as I recall.

I don't object to the fact that they have exclusions but I do object to the fact that they are not honest about them and that they "move the target" every time you show them a different offer that satisfies what they objected to in the previous one.

Mongo
Regular as clock work ........

We get about two or three JR. attorneys in our store per month screaming sue, sue, sue .... LOL

Frapp -

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've got a agree with Frapp here . . . you can't expect a store to sell you stuff below their cost. Would you do that?

If sears won't price match the nice cheap online price that you found, then buy it from that online store. That's what I did. That online store runs a tight ship . . . they severely control costs and are able to profit with the thin margin. But lots of you want the convenience of a walk-in sears store with a liberal return-policy but pay the price of a thin-margin online store. Get real. Retailers need to feed their kids too. If you don't like a stores price, then buy it elsewhere.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Originally posted by ensyed:

As Sears does NOT require you to commit to a year's programming... then they arent really matching an online price that requires a 12 month programming commitment.

The merchant get a commission on and perks for the new customer, I would think. btw... The average price for a 6000 for existing customers is $449 (Allsat.com).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, this Jr attorney came home with a PVR 501 system for $138.00 and no programming committment.

I spent over 15 years in the CE business, starting in retail and eventually as VP for a multinational electronics company. I've dealt with every kind of idiot customer there is to be dealt with and I also have learned the hard way that you have to disclose your policies.

The department manager was *not* happy about me going over his head and getting the head office involved but they did make good on their policy, as they should.

Frankly, I think they should just put *Excludes satellite DBS systems in fine print on the signs and they would be covered, but it is Sears' choice not to do that and it is my choice to force their hand and make them do what they say they will do.

If the result of stating their pricing policy the way they do now is that they have to make a few negative revenue sales from time to time, that is Sears decision. They are a big company and I would find it hard to believe that no one took into account the fact that some sales would have to be made at negative revenue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.