AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If SOPRANOS has already been posted here, I apologize for the being redundant but I did go back ten days before starting this thread.

I don't get HBO and when we got SEASON 1, it was a sheer delight to watch each and every one of the episodes. When we had finished we felt deprived and could hardly wait for SEASON 2.

The second Season has superior audio and video quality but so far, after four episodes, we notice a different feeling about the show. I haven't taken the time to see if they changed writers but there is a grim feeling about the show that didn't seem to be there before. Even tho they were dealing with a subject matter about the Mafia, there seemed to be some levity and comic relief in Season 1. That isn't the case with Season 2. It just doesn't seem to be that much fun to watch these episodes as it was in our first encounter.

Of course, we will keep watching the rest but so far it just hasn't been as much fun.

Anybody else notice this or is it just our idiosyncracies?

Ernie Smith

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Interesting. I started watching at Season 2 and in retrospect thought season one was unpolished & more plodding. While Season 3 was interesting and took the show in a few new directions, I still like Season 2 the best.

Tim

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:Interesting. I started watching at Season 2 and in retrospect thought season one was unpolished & more plodding. While Season 3 was interesting and took the show in a few new directions, I still like Season 2 the best.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rudolph:you are correct when you say season one was not as polished as season two but I disagree about it being more plodding. It just seems to be more severe and, except for some light moments with his henchmen clowning around trying to emulate Michael Corleone and discussing the "greatest B.J.'s that they have ever had", the atmosphere just seems to be more severe and grim. The guy that was released from prison is a psychopath to the extreme. I expect violence but do you enjoy seeing some of the things that he has done? I seem to remember chuckling my way through Season 1 because the characters were so garish. My ex wife is half Italian and half Sicilian and I had to sleep with one eye open and yet I laughed a lot at some of her antics.

Well, maybe it is supposed to be that way and I have just seen the first four episodes so maybe I should close my yap.

Thanks for your reply,

Ernie

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've enjoyed all three seasons immensely. My favorite season though would likely also be Season #2 as well. If you're only into four shows of Season #2, then keep watching. I'm sure when your done watching the whole season you will likely post back here with different thoughts.

This is still the best show on television, IMHO. I'm thrilled to own these wonderful Season Box sets.:cool:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Season 2 is also my favorite. If you still don't like Season 2 after the finale, then you might not like Season 3 at all. Although I enjoyed it, it was the weekest of the three.

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.