AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey, a fellow Tampon!! AnthonyB do you currently have Season Pass? I was goint to buy it 2 days ago, then I found out that you can't use it to watch local sports played on local channels!? So what the heck then is the point in getting NFL Sunday Ticket if you can't even use it to watch your own team in enhanced or HDTV??? This is only good for watching your out of town teams only! Rant off.

hjackson

·
Registered
382 Posts
I can't answer for Season Pass, but I do have NHL Center Ice. When I signed up, DirecTV gave me some mumbo-jumbo saying they'll "give me special permission" to subscribe w/o dialing in via my HDTV receiver or my DirecTivo.

They also said they can't guarantee I'll get all the games...when I asked for an explanation they couldn't give me one. So far, I've been able to view all the NHL games.

I do not ever dial in via my HDTV receiver. I do receive updates on my DirecTivo via ethernet, but never dial in via the modem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey guys, while on the subject, is it very feasible to operate TiVo without a phone connection? I have a dial-up account that I use occasionally on my laptop at home, but I do not have a home network that I could tie the TiVo into. How often does the Tivo need to phone for updates?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Stand-alone Tivos need to dial up to download the guide data. No guide data, no season passes.

DirecTivos need to dial up in order to stay activated (just like all other sat receivers). This is to keep people in multiple locations from splitting the same sat bill. The DirecTivo's guide data comes from the satellite, though, so you can leave it unplugged from the phone line for a week or two at a time before it's an issue.

--Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Llamas

DirecTivos need to dial up in order to stay activated (just like all other sat receivers).

--Mike
I don' know about alll sat receivers but my Ultimate TV is never connected to the phone line- going on two years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Llamas
Stand-alone Tivos need to dial up to download the guide data. No guide data, no season passes.

DirecTivos need to dial up in order to stay activated (just like all other sat receivers). This is to keep people in multiple locations from splitting the same sat bill. The DirecTivo's guide data comes from the satellite, though, so you can leave it unplugged from the phone line for a week or two at a time before it's an issue.

--Mike
Most standalone TiVos get guide data from a special Discovery broadcast. They do need to call regularly however to download the decryption key for the data and confirm subscription status.

DTV receivers and DTiVos do not need to call, they get all guide data from the satellite, including account status - no pay, they shut you off from the sat. All the phone call does is download PPV information for billing purposes. If they don't call regularly, the ability to order PPV with the remote will be disabled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.