AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the backstory. My girlfriend and I like eating a meal while we're watching a movie in my theater. I have a completely darkened theater with a JVC RS-1 and Fortress Matinee seating.

The problem is we often find ourselves having to turn on a lamp during a film because it's simply too dark to eat. This situation of course kills the great picture contrast generated by the RS1. I'm thinking that a solution to this problem would be to find some sort of adjustable mini-spotlight that could be attached to each of the seats that would shine on a person's meal/lap. However, I'm not sure if such a product exists. Can anyone recommend such a product or provide an alternate "reasonable" solution?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you have wall sconces on a dimmer? Do you have overhead lighting zones? If so just dim up the sconces some or dim up the lights furthest away from the screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a cushioned lap desk with a positionable light on it, battery op. Got it from Ulta $29.99 works great for laptop and meals.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Problem solved. You can always paint them black to reduce reflections

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lollywolf, thanks for the practical advice. Everyone since then, thanks for the laughs.

Oh, and I unfortunately do not have wall sconces or overhead lighting zones.

If anyone else knows of any other products (preferably of the non-jokester variety), please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm looking for the exact same thing. The only thing I have found so far are some LED flash lights that project a perfect circle of light with very little scatter. My plan is to mount these in the ceiling probably on one of those adjustable speaker mounts that can be tilted at any angle. I would direct them right into the lap or possibly just forward where a TV tray might be placed for each seat. Of course I would remove the batteries and supply them with 4.5 volt power supplies controlled by "Lightning switches". http://www.lightningswitch.com/ These are remote controls that do not require batteries in the remotes. The act of pressing the button generates a static charge that powers the transmitter. I already bought one of the 12 volt version for testing and it works pretty well. Rarely does it fail on the first click and require a second click. Based on Mike C's photos of the Berkline chairs in his thread for removing a chair arm I believe it should be possible to mount the lightning switch remote in the seats.

If I could find a better option for the light itself that would be great. It should be possible to buy the optics and LED light sources to build something but it may not be the best option since the LED flash lights are only about $30. Unfortunately I am out of the country right now and can not provide you with the model of the LED flash light. Look at some of these lights, some you can see a reflector and see the LED inside. Others you see only a big round bulging lens. These with the bulging lens are the ones that work. I picked up some of these cheap in Taiwan but they had more scatter and a blueish ring around the perimeter. The original came from Fry's and it makes a perfect circle of light with virtually no scatter or color shift. With this ceiling mounted directed at your lap or TV tray I doubt the person sitting behind you would even know it's on. It puts light only in that circle!

So, that's what I'm planning to do in my theatre as I also will have total darkness with no windows in the room. I did a lot of google searching for spot lights and things along the lines of this... http://www.activemusician.com/item--MC.3P5Q was the closest thing I could find to what I wanted and it is way too big, way too bright, and way too expensive! So probably unless we want to buy optics, LED's, and other related hardware, the flash lights are probably the only solution. Depending on your ceiling height it might be too close causing the circle to be too small in which case one lens might need to be added to expand it but if you can locate them far enough away it should work fine on it's on.

Keep us posted if you do this. It's going to be some time before I can do mine. My new house/theatre is finally complete but I'm in Malaysia at the moment and can't even move in much less work on this and the million other projects for the theatre.

Monte

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some searching on Amazon, I found these two possible solutions:

- Tranquilty Zone by SPI Lapdesk with Light (which is what lollywolf is probably talking about)

- Wink Adjustable Hands-Free Light

I think the Tranquilty Zone might be perfect for my needs. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais /forum/post/13031187

...I think the Tranquilty Zone might be perfect for my needs. I'll keep y'all posted.

Yes, let us know how these work. I think I almost like this idea better then my ceiling mounted flashlight idea. It will certainly be easier and cheaper!

Monte

1 - 10 of 10 Posts