AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is near completion and I wanted some feedback on the "Optimal" seating distance so to establish my side speaker placement.

My room is 13'7" X 20'6". I built a rear riser approx. 8" in height. There is a stage in the front of the room.

The screen is 54 X 96. Running a Sony G-70 CRT. Anything else you would need to know?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

David

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Lots of different answers to this one. Some will say closer to 1x screen width...some will say 2x. The best way is trial and error to find out what distance you prefer. 1.5x is generally considered the "standard", so try starting there.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The best way in my opinion is to look at where you often sit at your local theater and then notice how wide their screen is and how far from the screen you are. You could even wait till the movie was over and measure it off. For me somewhere around 1.5 - 1.75 times width is optimal.

Brian

·
Registered
784 Posts
David,

We have a G-70 and an HTPC running 960 x 1440 @72 Hz. Our first row of seating is at 11' with a 52" x 92" screen. Just awesome with high quality material. Our second row of seating is at 16', which works well for lower quality transfers.

Since our room is small, 11' x 17', I've opted to omit the side channel speakers for now. I did provision wiring to place the sides at the 13.5' point, between the two rows.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Go to a movie theater and look at the screen. Find the best place to sit for your taste. Hold your hand out at arms length and close one eye. How many fists wide is the picture? Now go home and sit in front of your proposed screen...move forward and back until its right.

i did this and it worked great.

My screen is 84" wide and the first row is about 14' back from the screen.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
My screen is 84" wide and the first row is about 14' back from the screen.
I just sized my screen and began the early stages of building it earlier today, and it is 84" wide with the primary seating area being 11-12' back (can't go any further back for the front row because of a door); just within the typical 1.5-2x screen width recommendation. Looks like you went with the high end of that range for the same size screen. :)

Dan

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Theory says 2.5 to 3 times screen HEIGHT. This (in a widescreen situation) is far enough away to minimize scan line visibility but still gives a 30 degree included angle field of vision of the screen.

As for speakers, start with the distance between centers being the same as the straight line distance from face to your ear. Toe them in slightly so the lines would intersect a foot or two behind your head. This will usually get you close. You can tweak from there for personal taste and speaker specifics.

I have an 80" wide screen. First row is about 11' back. Speakers are 2.5 feet out from front wall and about 8' apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.