AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I have a 15'x15' gameroom and I want to go with the Epson Home 1080UB. The Problem is that I have to almost position my seating 8-10ft away from a screen due to my 7.1 system. (Rear Surrounds) If I take away my 7.1 speakers and go with 5.1 setup, then i can move the seating a little more to the back wall. The actual eye distance is a max 10ft from the screen at the moment. Right now i don't have a screen picked yet but I want to go with a 110" diagonal screen. I m trying to take advantage of my 1080P movies and making my gameroom into a media room but im not sure if I'm to close with my seating from the screen. ALl i'll be watching is HD Movies and Ps3 games.

According to the Projection Calculator the throw distance would hav to be 11'8" from a 110" screen.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

G

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
For 10 feet, I'd go no higher than 96", honestly. I'm at 92" from 10.5 feet. And to me this is perfect. But you can't know this until you try it out. Use the zoom and see what size you prefer.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I sit at 11.5' from my 106" screen and I wouldn't want to go any closer than 11'. However, I also never liked to sit closer than 1/3 of way back from a movie theater screen (1/2 way back was my preferred distance), back in the days when I went to see a movie in a theater.

Remember, for a 7.1 channel system, the rear surrounds are supposed to be at least 1/3 of the width of the back wall from each side of the room (5' in your case - 10', or less, apart - the THX recommendation). You shouldn't have any problem (with rear surrounds) sitting around 11' back from the screen.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
FWIW, my front row is 9.5 feet from a 110 in diag. screen. I don't always sit in the front, but I have played many ps2/ps3 games and watched movies in the front row, and I never felt to close, well except for the SDE effect, LOL, I see with my 768P LCD, but that won't be an issue with the 1080UB.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Obviously viewing distance is a very personal thing. If you're like me you're definitely not too close. I sit 10' from a 106" diagonal screen - Optoma HD80 1080p. It gives you that immersed feeling.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
theshadow1234 -- Unless you have extremely acute eyesight, you should be able to sit as close as 8' from a 110" screen (1.0 x screen width) without seeing SDE. In the past the minimum seating distance was 1.5 x screen width, but with the higher pixel density of the 1080p PJs, this is no longer valid, if you prefer sitting very close to a screen (I prefer sitting a little further back so that the entire screen is almost entirely within my peripheral vision angle).

You do need to get a screen that doesn't have texture (unless it is very fine and was designed for 1080p use). The texture can give you moire patterns with the 1920 x 1080 pixel configuration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
from the reviews I've read epson's smoothvision should allow you to sit as close as you want, as the reviewer couldn't see the sde unless he got INCHES away from the screen!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I think you also don't want to overfill your field of view. There is some number of degrees where you have to start moving your eyes or even your head to see all the detail. That's why sitting too close in the theater was annoying even before anyone had heard of sde.

But I don't remember either the number of degrees or the relative viewing distance that was determined.

- Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts