AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm building a new home theater (my first dedicated one) and my wall allows a wide 2.35 screen - I could go up to 160" wide (174" diagonal) screen, or even slightly larger.

As I'm importing both the projector (Sony VW-1100ES) and the screen (currently considering a 2.35 Stewart with masking) it will take a couple of months lead time from order to delivery - and I need to order them both sight unseen, and soon.

My installer is cautioning me not to go "too big" with the screen.

As I can't experiment with the projector and need to order both (as the lead them to getting them imported is so long) and returning them if I order the wrong size is going to be very difficult - I've been trying to read online on seating distances from 4K projectors.

I've read Sony suggests seating at 2X screen height.

For a 160" wide (174" diagonal) screen, the screen height is 68", meaning seating distance should be 136" from the screen (if the 2X seating distance is right...).

The farthest back my room dimension would allow seating is about 160" from the screen, and I'm looking for a single row of seating.

Am I being crazy wanting to "go big" and this is indeed too big, or will my theater work okay planning to seat at about 2X screen height, even with a relatively big screen of 160" wide, 174" diagonal, 68" screen height?

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Hi,

I'm building a new home theater (my first dedicated one) and my wall allows a wide 2.35 screen - I could go up to 160" wide (174" diagonal) screen, or even slightly larger.

As I'm importing both the projector (Sony VW-1100ES) and the screen (currently considering a 2.35 Stewart with masking) it will take a couple of months lead time from order to delivery - and I need to order them both sight unseen, and soon.

My installer is cautioning me not to go "too big" with the screen.

As I can't experiment with the projector and need to order both (as the lead them to getting them imported is so long) and returning them if I order the wrong size is going to be very difficult - I've been trying to read online on seating distances from 4K projectors.

I've read Sony suggests seating at 2X screen height.

For a 160" wide (174" diagonal) screen, the screen height is 68", meaning seating distance should be 136" from the screen (if the 2X seating distance is right...).

The farthest back my room dimension would allow seating is about 160" from the screen, and I'm looking for a single row of seating.

Am I being crazy wanting to "go big" and this is indeed too big, or will my theater work okay planning to seat at about 2X screen height, even with a relatively big screen of 160" wide, 174" diagonal, 68" screen height?

Many thanks!!!

I think that's too big, but it could work. That projector has 1300 calibrated lumens. But, when watching 2.35:1 material, you lose 25% brightness. That means you start out with around 16 foot lamberts with 2.35:1 movies, if you had a Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen. I personally like a little more brightness, so if it were me, I'd go a little smaller.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's too big, but it could work. That projector has 1300 calibrated lumens. But, when watching 2.35:1 material, you lose 25% brightness. That means you start out with around 16 foot lamberts with 2.35:1 movies, if you had a Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen. I personally like a little more brightness, so if it were me, I'd go a little smaller.
Thanks Craig. Ignoring brightness and screen gain for a second, I'm trying to understand if 1.5PH to 2PH will work for a 2.35 a/r screen, regardless of it's size.

Is it a safe bet ordering a large 2.35 screen if I know I can place my front (and only) seating row at a 1.5PH to 2PH distance from that screen?

·
Registered
32,811 Posts
Thanks Craig. Ignoring brightness and screen gain for a second, I'm trying to understand if 1.5PH to 2PH will work for a 2.35 a/r screen, regardless of it's size.

Is it a safe bet ordering a large 2.35 screen if I know I can place my front (and only) seating row at a 1.5PH to 2PH distance from that screen?
Not Craig, but happy to give you my feedback. That is very close. Especially for the 2.35. 1.5 screen heights is .84 screen widths for 16:9. That is too close, even for 16:9. I would want to be between 2.0 and 4.0 screen heights. I view pretty close and I am using 2.45H.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts

How close to sit is a personal thing. Some people love the " in your face " feeling of the front row experience. Other people would get ill and not be happy. I sit over 2.5 screen heights away. In some respects, I prefer using screen width for this. Anyway, Mike is correct - you would be very close. With my 128" diagonal screen 1.5 to 2 screen heights would be 6 1/4 feet to 8 1/3 feet. I'd absolutely require an AT screen at that point. That is another consideration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts