AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of deciding what size screen to use in my rebuild. My seating distance will roughly be about 11' from the screen.

I am contemplating using a 92" screen but I was wondering how close or how far people are sitting from their screens and what size they are using for viewing. I know the whole 1.5x concept, but Im looking more for first hand experience.

The projector thats going to be used is the Epson HC720 on a DW Laminate.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Depends on the screen ratio. For 2.35:1 you want to be closer than 1.5.

Best way to see what you like is to go to the movies and count ceiling tiles from your favorite seat.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/12999518

Depends on the screen ration. For 2.35:1 you want to be closer than 1.5.

Best way to see what you like is to go to the movies and count ceiling tiles from your favorite seat.

I will be using 1:85:1. Im going from a 110" screen sitting at approx 24' to possibly a 92 at 11'. So for me its quite a change and Im not sure if thats too close or too far. I Was basically trying to get peoples thoughts on how it feels for them at different ranges and screen sizes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you will be fine. I have a 106" screen and my first row of seating is right at 11 feet. I personally do not find it too big at all and there is no screen door effect with my Sharp 720p projector.

Matt

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMann /forum/post/12999951

I think you will be fine. I have a 106" screen and my first row of seating is right at 11 feet. I personally do not find it too big at all and there is no screen door effect with my Sharp 720p projector.

Matt

good to know! SDE was one of my concerns with the size i wanted to go with and seating distance.

How high from the floor is the bottom of your screen?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my screen right at 2 feet off the floor. I can not promise there won't be any SDE but for my sharp projector it does not start till i get less than ten feet. I am also very anal about seeing it so I am sure no one else will be able to see it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMann /forum/post/13000231

I have my screen right at 2 feet off the floor. I can not promise there won't be any SDE but for my sharp projector it does not start till i get less than ten feet. I am also very anal about seeing it so I am sure no one else will be able to see it.

Mine will be a few inches shorter than yours so it sounds like we are pretty much the same setup. Based on what your saying it does sound like a 92" at 11' will be no issues at all.

I just read in one of the Epson HC720 threads that someone is using a 100" at 11' and has no SDE..so thats good news for my 92"

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMann /forum/post/13000459

I definitely think you won't have a problem if you are sticking with that size. Enjoy!

I concur. I am doing 10' from 101" 1:85 with a 720p. I believe my last setup with a 480p was around 11' (maybe 12') from 92" 1:85 and no SDE either.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
92" at 11' it is then! Thanks for your comments and help..that solves one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
343 Posts
160" diag 16:9 at 15' and I love it to death. I'll likely move that row to 14' when I build my riser for the second row this spring.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutmos /forum/post/13005775

160" diag 16:9 at 15' and I love it to death. I'll likely move that row to 14' when I build my riser for the second row this spring.

Wow..160" at 15'. My "old" home theater used to be 110" at 24'. I couldnt imagine a screen as large as yours sitting that close. Then again if i had ceilings higher than a gnome I probably would have done the same thing

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott /forum/post/13009974

I'm trying to determine how big to go also. Anyone think 120" wide at 13' is too big? 16:9.

I would think based on what Tutmos said, you should be more than ok at that range.

Also I assume you mean 120" diag and not wide?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts