AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 129" wide (140" diagonal) 2.35 AT screen that will be getting put up next week.

We're in the process of building the riser and because of room limitations, the front row will be starting at 10' 6". I previously hooked up my projector and sat at that distance and it seemed close, but still comfortable enough, granted I didn't have the speakers set up for the full effect so I didn't watch a 2 hour movie on it or anything.

Now that the room is nearly finished and the frame of the riser is in place though, the front row seating area seems too close to me.

My question to those with some personal experiences, do you think that my front row will be too close to the screen? I've read stories where people initially thought their seating was too close but then over time moved it forward several feet. Is the size something that I might get used to over time?

I do have a second row of seating that I can use as well, but since I have only 6 seats in total (2 rows of 3) the front row will be getting a fair amount of use.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You are a touch over 2x screen height. You're right where you should be. I think you will be happy...why get a big screen and sit far away? I never get when people want to sit in the back of my theater.

My front row is 11 feet from a 150" wide screen. I think its great.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I bought a 140" wide (129" diagonal) 2.35 AT screen that will be getting put up next week.
Those dimensions don't match. A 129" diagonal 2.35 screen is 119" wide. 140" wide would be a 152" 2.35 screen...

We're in the process of building the riser and because of room limitations, the front row will be starting at 10' 6". I previously hooked up my projector and sat at that distance and it seemed close, but still comfortable enough, granted I didn't have the speakers set up for the full effect so I didn't watch a 2 hour movie on it or anything.
My screen in 2.35 mode is 136" diag / 125" wide. My front row is ~9 feet, and the image from there is large, but not too big - you can see the whole screen without turning your head. But I wouldn't go any larger.

My question to those with some personal experiences, do you think that my front row will be too close to the screen? I've read stories where people initially thought their seating was too close but then over time moved it forward several feet. Is the size something that I might get used to over time?
Depends - a "large" screen you can get used to and then prefer - but if the screen is too big, such that you have to turn your head to comfortably see the whole image, that will just be a problem.

I was concerned with my "close" front row, and tested screen sizes before deciding. And it worked out fine - I just wanted to make sure guests didn't avoid the front row and start a race for the "good" seats. In my setup, I have folks that always grab the front row, and others that always sit in the back bar area. All a matter of preference. I sit in the middle row center when I have my choice - and sit in whatever seat is available when guests have filled up the room...

Jeff

·
Registered
463 Posts
I usually sit about 1/3 of the way back in a commercial theater. So with my build out we're planning on doing a 141" diag 2.35 AT screen and I will be 10' away from it. I mocked it up and it looks good. YMMV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the replies.

The screen is 129" wide, 140" diagonal. I accidentally reversed the two in my original post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts