AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just moved into a new house and have a 16'x11' bedroom we will be using to watch movies. I have gotten the equipment together an watched a few movies in a jerry-rigged setup and have come to realize that the experience is one that we want to share. Initialy I only intended to watch with my wife, but I now want to be able to AT LEAST have another couple over.

This will be a rear *EDIT - FRONT PJ* projection set up with a 98" wide 16:9 screen on the 11' wide wall. There is a 2 door wide closet (which will house the equipment rack) and the door to the room on the back wall.

One side wall has a window, but it will be covered and is not a consideration.

I would like to have no arm rest between me and the wife, and reclining would be nice, but the budget is limited. Cheaper is better.

So the Question is...

how would you set up the seating?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Could you draw a quick layout?

You mean a 96" FRONT projection, don't you?

Since you have those doors in the back, you can't really do two rows (you'd need a riser). I'd put the screen on the 11' wall and do 4 or more recliners in a row (e.g. berklines).

Otherwise, you're going to have trouble getting seatin in the room and still moving around...

pc

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
If it's strictly for movies, games, events, etc. and conversation is not an issue, I'd build a small riser and use 2 loveseats one behind the other. This provides what you are looking for at minimal cost and provides good surround effect for all involved, provides walkways on both sides of the room, etc. Your first row might be a bit close but it depends on what you want.

If you put 4 chairs in the first row, you're only going to have a narrow walkway on one side and one seat right up against a wall. The other way, if you remove the doors and swing the room door the other way, I think you can have space to walk behind. It really depends on your furnishings. If you make only the first row reclining, that saves you some space between rows.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
With only 16' to work with, two rows would require quite a downsizing of the screen. If you left 2' behind the rear row to allow access to the doors, and 1.5' between the rows, the front seats would be at 8.5' from the screen. Even if you allowed a fairly close front viewing distance of 1.3x width, the screen would have to be reduced to 78" wide. If you definitely want 2 rows, consider using loveseats. Put the rear seat on a riser right up against the back wall (this isn't ideal, but we do what we must), but over to the right slightly, in front of the closet doors (take the actual doors off), leaving the room door clear. If you can find a loveseat that is 5'wide, you may not have to move it off center at all. You can use a full size matching couch for the front row if you want more seating rom. Then put the equiptment in the closet on shelves above the top of the seats. Depending on how close the closet is the side wall, you may be able stand on the riser, to the side of the seats, and get to the equiptment. Otherwise, you will have to lean over the seats slightly to get to the closet. With this set-up, you will utilize all of your room space and maximize screen size. Maintaining the front row at 1.3x distance (it works in my set-up) and 1.5' between rows (I use 2', but 1.5' can work), you could have a screen size of about 54"x96" or 110"diagonal. If you already have your screen, you end up with about 1.27x for the front row. I would try sitting this close before you embark on this project. You could end up getting sea-sick and/or dizzy at that proximity. Try different distances to see what works for you. If you must reduce screen size, I think as little reduction as possible is best. Good luck!

Rob

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Another thought, if you used actual theater seats fro the back row, it would allow you to move the front seats back probably 1.5'. This would give you a better viewing ratio, especially if you already have that 98" wide screen (1.45x). You also could use more seats in the back row. In fact, you could use a full sized couch for the rear, and just move it off center. I have a thing for symmetry though.

Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are three options inspired by your posts.

if you have 2 rows of couch/loveseats and the first reclines and the second does not, would that make risers unnecessary?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I think the bean bags and the chairs might be a little too close, but you can experiment with that. I vote for the second pic, without the beanbags and with the rear seat moved slightly left, inline with the front seat, or... the third pic with the seats reversed and the couch centered. Also, I'd move the equitment to the other side of the closet for easier access from the side of the seats. You probably will still need a riser.

Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last night I tried watching closer to see if I could handle it. Right now there are 2 chairs and the PJ is still sitting on a box, so it is all still temporary. I moved the seats forward so my head was 10' from the screen. That leaves 3' for a couch/loveseat against the wall and 2 1/2 isle.

I could not watch for long. Got up and measured my screen width and it was 104". I was originally planning for 98" so I backed it down to there and watched again and it was tolerable. I reduced it further to 85-90" and that was fine.

I liked sitting further back with a bigger screen better, but don't want to sit against the wall, so I was thinking I could have a couch against the back wall and have a loveseat in front of it with no isle when it was just 2 of us and watch 98" wide and reduce the zoom and make an isle when we have company.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I did some calculations to see if your idea would work without a riser. If you have 8' ceilings, can put the screen right up against the ceiling (minus a few inches for the border), use the 90" wide screen and the measurements from my suggested set-up(10.5' to the front row, 1.5' aisle, back row against the wall), you would still need about a 7" riser to be able to clearly see over the front rows heads. If you still want to go with the rearranging idea, you could make the riser in two pieces; one for under the rear seats, and one as the aisle. I did this with my riser for portability, as I was renting at the time. You could then remove the aisle portion and move the front row back when it's just the two of you. You would then need somewhere close and not to inconvenient to store the riser. The only major problem is that when you zoomed in for when guests were watching, you'd have a small picture on a large screen. This would look way to weird for me, but if you're OK with it, that's all that matters.

Based on the numbers you found acceptable, a 90" wide screen at 10', you're OK with a 1.33x viewing ratio. If you went with the set-up I suggested, at 1.33x for the front row, you could still have a 94" wide screen; not too much smaller than than your original 98". Plus, you wouldn't need to worry about about moving the seats around or messing with the zoom.

I also think the couch should be used for the front row, as this would now be your main seating area, and the loveseat should go in the back, as it's smaller size would allow access to the equiptment rack and keep the entrance door clear, while still being centered in the room..

Remember, this is your project. Do what works best for you and...HAVE FUN!

Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First of all THANKS! Your help is outstanding. It is nice to have people to bounce ideas back and forth with.

About the couch, we are trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible. Most reclining couches only recline the side seats and not the middle. When only 2 people are watching, either 1 person doesn't recline or they have to sit at extreme opposite sides of the couch. That is the only reason why I was putting the love seat in the front row. Are there couches that recline all the seats? I did see one but it was close to $2k and didn't have foot rests.

How about making the screen 98". I could sit 11" from the screen leaving 5' for an isle and loveseat. If I found a love seat that was 3' deep I could make a separate riser for the love seat and isle. The isle riser would be 2' but probably less than 1' if stood on its back edge. Flipped back essentially. Then I could push the 1st row couch back another foot at least when there was no company...assuming I could find the couch mentioned above

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Your welcome. That's what we're all here for. To help each other out.

I think you're right about the reclining couch. A love seat would be more intimate.

If you place the front row so that your eyes are at 11', the back of the couch will be at least 12', probably more like 12'6" if you use one of those overstuffed recliners (most of the cheap recliners I've seen have been of the "overstuffed" variety, and deeper than 3'). Even if you went with a non-reclining seat for the back, that would leave you with less than a foot for the aisle. I hate to say it, but I think you have to make your screen smaller.

In place of the recliners, consider a normal loveseat with a couple of ottomen. If you get some small pillows for back support, it can be very comfortable. This would allow you to select a seat with a thinner back (not as deep), which would allow you to keep them as far back in the room as possible and keep your screen as big as possible.

Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the delay. I am using a NEC LT240k. I am leaning towards being selfish. Where I really like to sit is just too far back to allow for a 2nd row. And I don't want to go smaller that 90 inches. Seem like that is defeating the whole purpose of the PJ. I think I can get some sort of love seat + 2 chairs into the 1 row. I will just have to make do when we have more people over.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, after looking around this weekend I came up with the following. For about the same price as 2 Berkline type chairs I can get 2 reclining love seats that are ~60"x40". I can put one on the side wall and swing it around facing the screen for company. I will attach drawing.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I can't say I figure how either of your new ones (duallovesat) work?

The side one will be way too close to watch, and the side-by-side there is no room to get in/out. And if you think you will just move them, remember company might need to get a drink/bathroom and so it would be too inconvenient.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was intending on moving them. The side one would only be on the side wall when not in use... or maybe if someone wanted to stretch out and lay longways with their head at the armrest. I also didn't really intend to angle the loveseats in the side by side configuration. I just saved the picture after i was playing around with it. Originally it looked like this attached image. The room is actually a couple of inches wider than 11 feet so that would leave a 14 or 15 inch isle. Think that is wide enough?

·
Registered
760 Posts
15" is tight, and if someone is sitting on the couch end already odds are someone will have to turn sideways to pass, but it is still so far the best option you have come up with, in my opinion anyway. Can you swap the door to swing out though? That arc looks close to the couch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.