Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a house and my HT room is looking to be

21 X 16...

How far from the front wall is the idea place to put seating? I am also looking to put a FP screen on that front wall so I need an appropriate size for whatever seating distance is chosen... any ideas?

· Registered
2,673 Posts
That depends on screen aspect ratio, projection artifacts, projector light output, what trade offs you prefer in the video (you might accept more visible digital artifacts to get immersion, or choose a larger + dimmer picture), how much room you want to give the left+right speakers, how many rows of seating you want to accomodate, how much you want to compromise front-row performance to get a better picture elsewhere, etc.

The best answer here is to buy your projector, shine it on a white wall, watch some movies, and figure out what subtended field of vision works best for you. Then use the largest screen which allows the same subtended field of vision without causing brightness problems, leaving insufficient room for your second row, crowding the speakers too much, etc.

IOW, if you find that you like to sit about 12' from an 8' wide 16x9 screen (this is average) you could sit 15' from a 10' wide screen or 30' from a 20' wide screen. This can also be worked in relation to image height, which seems to relate more closely with perceived size than width. All else equal, once the lights were off you'd get the same experience from any of those combinations although the people sitting behind you would have a more immersive experience on the larger screens.

In the absence of digital artifacts and/or limited brightness, I'd try a 10' wide 2.35:1 screen with the front row 12' away.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is though...with a 21 foot deep room, is it accoustically ok to (and even asthetically) to have 7-8 feet of empty room behind the couch (my ownly row) - I really think the widest screen i'll get is 8-8 1/2 feet (cause of a door on the left side of the room)....

· Registered
2,673 Posts
It'll work well acoustically.

For the best bass response and clarity, you don't want your speakers or ears too near a room boundary or the middle. I have my speakers 4' off the screen wall, usually have a couch 11' out (it gets moved for parties), and the rear wall is 8' behind the couch. Screen size is 87x49 - which is right for movies at aspect ratios

· Registered
401 Posts
one rule that i use when i install customer HT is to measure the width of the television and then divide it by 2 that gives me half the width. I then divide that number by the tangente of 15 which is .2679 and that gives me the distance that the seat must be from the screen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.