AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 12x22. I have a 120" screen with a HD66 projector. Problem I am having is the seating. Wife wants a sectional. I am opposed because I feel the seats against the wall are a total waste. I like theater seating. She hates the look of theater seating. It has gotten to the point where she told me to do whatever I want.

Problem is my width of the room. A row of 4 seats takes almost then entire space. It also limits me to only 4 seats. There are 4 of us in the house but the DW thinks we need more seats for guests. I am a little tight for 2 rows. Budget is already blown so I would like to stay around $2k for everything. Any advice?

·
Registered
999 Posts
With a 22 foot room, you should have plenty of space for two rows.

If budget is an issue, you can always go for the bolt-down theater-style seats rather than the big recliners.

I agree that having a sectional pushed up against one wall would not be a good solution.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
You have the depth for 2 rows. Assuming your entry door is towards the front of the theater and you don't need to get behind your back row, you also have the width to go with 4 seats in the back. My room is 12'-6" wide and my front row will have 3 seats and my back will have 4, with the middle 2 seats in a loveseat configuration. The loveseat is nice and saves you a few inches. Try looking at some of the Berklines with smaller footprints. Mine are the 13175s and are very comfy.

With your budget, you could definitely find a nice row of 4. You might have to shop around a bit or bump up the budget for seats 5, 6 & 7. Or get your row of 4 now and buy the row of 3 when you have additional funds.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Well, there is the K-Mart option. At $200/seat you can put in 2 rows of 4 and still have some room in that $2k budget.

Not going to be powered Berklines, but not a bad choice for the money. See the theater accessories forum for a thread on these including some detailed photos.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Our theater is 21'-6" long, and we have room for two rows. One row is 2 feet from the back wall and the other is 8 feet from the back wall. With the screen wall being roughly 1.5 feet from the "real" wall, it makes our front row 11 feet from the screen and the back row 17 feet from the screen.

As Spaceman noted, it is largely dependent on where your door is. We have to enter from the rear, so we are limited in our seating choices (two recliners in the front row, three bolt-down pop-up theater chairs in the back). But there is definitely room for two rows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As others have pointed out, you definitely have room for 2 rows of seating with a 120" screen.

I would not put a sectional in a dedicated theater for a couple of reason. First the quality of the picture as seen from seats outside the width of the screen are greatly diminished from those within the width of the screen. Second, but just as important in my opinion, is that the seats against the wall won't get the same listening experience from your sound system.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
We don't like commercial theater seating no matter how nice - everyone sitting in little rows and it often makes the space into a single dimensional area - you either sit in little rows watching the screen in the dark or nothing

Along the wall I'd put in a small bar with three or four bar chairs - all we have across from our screen is a bar with four very comfortable and large stype bar chairs - there are other casual seats people can perch on but our PJ and screen are one dimension of a multi-purpose area with arcade games.

Since there are four of you that will mostly be watching whether it's a sofa or other style seats go for comfortable and arranged so that individuals can get up and down without interfering in the viewing experience of the others and then flexible seating behind - a bar or a bar table or whatever.

To me, the most comfortable theater configuration was the Draft House of a few years ago - tables and chairs and a bar in the back with food service and bar service while watching the film - what a shame those faded from the commercial theater scene.

Good Luck

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/19647879

To me, the most comfortable theater configuration was the Draft House of a few years ago - tables and chairs and a bar in the back with food service and bar service while watching the film - what a shame those faded from the commercial theater scene.

Good Luck

You do realize you are posting in a forum where most members are trying to replicate that theater experience but with better hardware and seating, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts