AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... Sorry for another "which sub" question, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Currently have two 15", 300W sealed subs by KEF. They sound great at moderate levels and high levels if the content isn't "too" low. However, I've noticed that I'm not getting a lot of the content below 25-30 Hz. I'm not too concerned with that, although it would be nice to have something that can go there.

My room is 2200 cuft, sealed, and dedicated.

I'd like to stay in the sealed configuration, and was looking at the Seaton SubM, and the Epik Empire. If I were to go with a Seaton, I'd probably do two of them. If I were to go Empire, I'd do at least two, and probably quad, colocated.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

The Seaton and Empire are much different in price. Should I assume that there is a comparable difference in performance?

Not too price sensitive, but want the best SQ and extension.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Strange choices to consider against each other. Check out this thread and maybe you can hear some demos at other members.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1354149

You have a pretty small room and I'm sure that two subversives will hit single digits. Another option is hsu uls15's and SVS sb13. Both are powerful sealed subs. as well. Rhythmic makes some good choices as well like the f15hp. I would take any of those above the empire personally or 4 of those above 4 empires. Put where you live and possibly other members close by may invite you over for a listen but definitely check out that link. It's a new thread so not a ton of options yet.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Rythmik F15HP or Dual Emotiva X Ref 12. Both are seals. The new Emotiva has limited DSP an output 600W RMS, introductory price of $599. No reviews yet, but lot, lot cheaper than Seaton. Duals/quad Empires would be awesome but are in backorder.

But if you have money for Dual Seaton then give it a try to Dual Rythmik F15HP.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
You may be able to get comparable performance for a bit less, but If you're willing to buy the best (the SubM), two of them no less, don't bother looking any farther. Buy them and enjoy knowing it doesn't get much better than what you have.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,772 Posts
pbc is right. For sealed subs, to my knowledge, it doesn't get better than the Seaton subs. You'd need quad or more of any of the other options you mentioned to get comparable performance to two Seatons. You should check out the shootout thread in my signature.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Take a look at Funky Waves' subwoofer-range - beautifull work and is mostly custom madeto your wishes - think about a sealed sub or a sub with passive radiators.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Seaton.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea /forum/post/20897614

you are correct. It would be overkill several times over --- and a LOT of fun!

You really think it would be too much? Meaning, I would have useless headroom if I calibrated everything properly?

What about this idea... I get just one SubM, and keep the other two 15" sealed subs running, but put some kind of high-pass filter to block everything below say, 30Hz? Is there such an animal? These two subs I currently have do really well between 35Hz and my AVR crossover @ 80Hz

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea /forum/post/0

you are correct. It would be overkill several times over --- and a LOT of fun!

Image a SubM in Luke's room!

·
Registered
381 Posts
My room is approx. 1600 cu. ft. and one SubM HP fills it to reference levels. The only benefit to going to multiples for me would be to balance the frequency response further. I would go for one SubM and see how it fills the room.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/0

Strange choices to consider against each other. Check out this thread and maybe you can hear some demos at other members.

Why are these strange choices to compare? They are both sealed dual opposed 15" subs. I agree that the Rythmik, SVS, & Hsu options are good as well but I'd take an Empire against a F15hp, SB13 plus or ULS-15 any day for performance. The Epik's don't have the option for a nice veneer although they have one of the better utilitarian basic blacks.

The dual opposed alignment is just hard to beat. The Empire would best the above 3 everywhere above 16 hz in output and probably with lower distortion too. For sake of disclosure I have an Empire in a bedroom rig and am getting 2 Rosenut Submersive HP's too.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate /forum/post/20898205

You really think it would be too much? Meaning, I would have useless headroom if I calibrated everything properly?

What about this idea... I get just one SubM, and keep the other two 15" sealed subs running, but put some kind of high-pass filter to block everything below say, 30Hz? Is there such an animal? These two subs I currently have do really well between 35Hz and my AVR crossover @ 80Hz

no good

I just bought this (Seaton Submersive)

but I already had a couple of these (KEF subs) and I think I'm going to tow them behind so I can still use them.

I'm partially kidding - but your other subs would be limiting your performance

unless................ perhaps you used them nearfield placement. PM counsil on that topic -- he's got some experience in that arena and some good knowledge with the equipment required to set delays and high pass filters and such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.