AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The F18's have been out for quite some time, but I haven't heard/read any consumer reviews on them. I like the design and the idea of a fully scalable set up where you can just add subs slaves as needed. I currently own 2 Submersive HP's and love them. How do these sound in comparison? How do the F18's compare to some other offerings like the JTR S1/S2? (2 F18's vs a single S2, etc), or vs the PSA offerings like the S1801, S3601? How about compare to the JBL S2S-EX?

If anybody owns or has heard the F18's as well as any of the other subs mentioned, what are your impressions?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I have the F18's, but the only other thing I've been able to compare them to in my room is the SubM, so...not much help to you. Plus, it wasn't really a fair comparison, as I went from having two master-slave F18 pairs in front with a SubM m/s pair behind me to just the SubM's up front. To be honest, though, when not using a bass-addict house curve and playing music at "normal" levels, I don't miss the F18s. But, bass-heavy movies / music is starving; I can't wait to have them back at the new place, though it'll probably just knock dust from my ceiling panels and vibrate everything enough to drive me mad until I can figure out what my permanent theater solution will be, lol.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, most of us are hunting that permanent, forever theater. The SubM's are formidable to say the least. If the F18's sound the same, but with the better scale-ability, they seem like a winner.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The F18's have been out for quite some time, but I haven't heard/read any consumer reviews on them. I like the design and the idea of a fully scalable set up where you can just add subs slaves as needed. I currently own 2 Submersive HP's and love them. How do these sound in comparison? How do the F18's compare to some other offerings like the JTR S1/S2? (2 F18's vs a single S2, etc), or vs the PSA offerings like the S1801, S3601? How about compare to the JBL S2S-EX?

If anybody owns or has heard the F18's as well as any of the other subs mentioned, what are your impressions?
I believe Mark has mentioned in the past that four F18s can deliver twice the very deep bass when compared to two Submersives, with the same 4kw amp, due to the larger enclosure volume and displacement. As frequency increases the efficiency of the 15s in the Submersives gives it the edge so for example mid bass slam the edge goes to the 15s.

The UM18-22 in the F18 isnt as capable as the drivers in the JTR S1/S2, so you may need three F18s to match the output of one S2.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Just want to point out some facts.

The driver for JTR S1/S2 is more capable.

In the JTR S2, the 2 drivers will be driven by 4000W or 2000W each. In the S1, the driver gets 2400W

In the Seaton F18+, each module gets 1300W and 4 modules get 4000W total.

The numbers we got from the GTG at Marc's shows that the F18 is +3.5dB at 25Hz and below and the Submersive is +3.5dB @ 50Hz and above.

Now, if you are perfectly happy with the Submersives, stick with something from Seaton.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe Mark has mentioned in the past that four F18s can deliver twice the very deep bass when compared to two Submersives, with the same 4kw amp, due to the larger enclosure volume and displacement. As frequency increases the efficiency of the 15s in the Submersives gives it the edge so for example mid bass slam the edge goes to the 15s.

The UM18-22 in the F18 isnt as capable as the drivers in the JTR S1/S2, so you may need three F18s to match the output of one S2.
Just want to point out some facts.

The driver for JTR S1/S2 is more capable.

In the JTR S2, the 2 drivers will be driven by 4000W or 2000W each. In the S1, the driver gets 2400W

In the Seaton F18+, each module gets 1300W and 4 modules get 4000W total.

The numbers we got from the GTG at Marc's shows that the F18 is +3.5dB at 25Hz and below and the Submersive is +3.5dB @ 50Hz and above.

Now, if you are perfectly happy with the Submersives, stick with something from Seaton.
Is that so? So basically a single JTR S2 will outperform 2 F18's?

That's interesting about the Submerives vs F18's as well. What I like so much about the Submersives with music is how punchy, articulate and accurate they seem to be. On good recordings, the kick drum sounds fantastic! Would the F18's or the S2's match that tight, punchy, articulate sound (which is usually in the 60hz range I believe)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think in a situation where money and space are not limiting factors a mix of F18s for ultra low bass and Submersives for mid and upper bass would be a sweet mix indeed.

For a focus on pure music, Submersives all the way. The F18s dont make sense unless you have three or four, otherwise stick with a master and slave pair of Submersives.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I haven't been on here in a while, but dropped in and saw your post. My system is a mixture of JTR and Seaton Sound products. Both are excellent performers...

My experience with Seaton Subs- Currently own 4 F2's and 4 F18's (and prior HP's). You have a nice setup with the HP's already...I have always liked the d/o design and wish I still had mine.

As far as real world utilization, I REEEAAAAALLLLLY like the original SubM's performance. They are soooo detailed, articulate, and just plain slam....perfect. If you want more output just keep adding them, LOL.

or,

If you are like me and want the newest, just mix in F18's. The F18's have a different sound. If you play test tones the F18's are deeper. I'd benefit from professional calibration, but it sounds damn good right now, LOL.

Good luck on your adventure!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't been on here in a while, but dropped in and saw your post. My system is a mixture of JTR and Seaton Sound products. Both are excellent performers...

My experience with Seaton Subs- Currently own 4 F2's and 4 F18's (and prior HP's). You have a nice setup with the HP's already...I have always liked the d/o design and wish I still had mine.

As far as real world utilization, I REEEAAAAALLLLLY like the original SubM's performance. They are soooo detailed, articulate, and just plain slam....perfect. If you want more output just keep adding them, LOL.

or,

If you are like me and want the newest, just mix in F18's. The F18's have a different sound. If you play test tones the F18's are deeper. I'd benefit from professional calibration, but it sounds damn good right now, LOL.

Good luck on your adventure!
Thanks for your input! That's great information from somebody that has owned both the F18's and SubM's. Maybe I will just add SubM's or F18's to my current subM's. Maybe I could roll off the SubM's higher and have the F18's handle the majority of the really low stuff so the SubM's just handle the frequencies they excel at.

Another sub (completely massive monster) that always gets my attention is the JBL 5628.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/subwoofers/5628#.WjUnWN-nFPY

These combined with an I-tech amp should give you all the DSP control you would ever need, and the drivers used in this sub are fantastic. Most people gripe about their extension, but I'm sure the in room extension is around the 20hz range or slightly below. I don't really care about single digit frequencies anyway.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for your input! That's great information from somebody that has owned both the F18's and SubM's. Maybe I will just add SubM's or F18's to my current subM's. Maybe I could roll off the SubM's higher and have the F18's handle the majority of the really low stuff so the SubM's just handle the frequencies they excel at.

Another sub (completely massive monster) that always gets my attention is the JBL 5628.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/subwoofers/5628#.WjUnWN-nFPY

These combined with an I-tech amp should give you all the DSP control you would ever need, and the drivers used in this sub are fantastic. Most people gripe about their extension, but I'm sure the in room extension is around the 20hz range or slightly below. I don't really care about single digit frequencies anyway.
I've always read its difficult to implement sealed and vented subs. I'd stay with one or other. I'd add more SubM's or F18's...6 total and you'll never want for more...:cool:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
If directed to me-

Dedicated theater room...23x15x9. One wall is 40% open...
I was actually curious about the OP and what size room he needed to fill, but damn, 8 Seaton products in that size room has to rock. I am building a sealed room which will be 13' x 22' x 8', and I was thinking 2 pairs of Master-slave SubM (one box in each corner) would be about all I really need. Just the one master-slave was pretty sweet even when the room was open to the whole basement.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've always read its difficult to implement sealed and vented subs. I'd stay with one or other. I'd add more SubM's or F18's...6 total and you'll never want for more...:cool:
Yes, I wouldn't even bother attempting that. It would be either SubM's and F18s mixed, or the 5628's.

What size room? Sealed room?
Current room is small at 14x25x7 (low ceilings). Future room in the future house I want to be around 28x21x13

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was actually curious about the OP and what size room he needed to fill, but damn, 8 Seaton products in that size room has to rock. I am building a sealed room which will be 13' x 22' x 8', and I was thinking 2 pairs of Master-slave SubM (one box in each corner) would be about all I really need. Just the one master-slave was pretty sweet even when the room was open to the whole basement.
One in each corner would be the sweet spot. 6-8 nullifies the "what if" factor and can be dialed down, LOL.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I have three F18's and I love them. Getting 3 more whenever Mark emails me they are available. I was pretty impressed at how easily they integrated. They play well together. I kind of just through them in the three spots I thought was most aesthetic looking to start... and then when I measured with XTZ room analyzer (works like REW) - I was pleasantly surprised they were giving a perfect response. They are savage to be perfectly honest. Good savage.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I have three F18's and I love them. Getting 3 more whenever Mark emails me they are available. I was pretty impressed at how easily they integrated. They play well together. I kind of just through them in the three spots I thought was most aesthetic looking to start... and then when I measured with XTZ room analyzer (works like REW) - I was pleasantly surprised they were giving a perfect response. They are savage to be perfectly honest. Good savage.
After a long period of parts selling through as they were arriving, it looks like we'll have limited inventory by the end of the week, and more over the next 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: DaveyMac

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just received my single F18+ subwoofer this week. I previously had an SVS PB13 and a HSU-VTF15H with a 12"HSU mid-bass add on. I put my new F18+ in the same location as the other subs and this thing is a monster. Bass is chest thumping hard and precise, sounds like a ported sub but without the chuffing. My vote is for the F18+ and maybe adding a second later :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts