AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting 100% signal strength with my RS double-bowtie antenna on KING, KIRO, KOMO, and PBS. But I am having trouble even picking up a weak sigle from my FOX affliate which is KCPQ (I think)...its channel 13 in analog, or 18 in Digital. The transmitters are in the same general location...and I've tried aiming the anntena in different directions....still no signal. I have my RS bowtie mounting outside...so I know I'm getting clear line of site. And like I said...100% strength on the other 4 Digital channels. Is it possible that FOX is not broadcasting at full power? Does anyone else have trouble getting channel 18 in the EastSide of Seattle area. I live in Kirkland/Bothell area.

Also, I saw a website that would tell you the exact location and specs of every transmitter in the country. Does anyone have that URL? Thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
KCPQ broadcasts from a different location. Try the website below. It is a geat resource. I use a large UHF antenna here in Bellevue to receive all stations with high signal strength. On my Mits SR-HD5 is all come in at 100. The DTC-100 is in the mid 80s. You may need more antenna to receive KCPQ. But you never know.

Good Luck

Rick

http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/frame_red.html

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already checked the website. It says that the channel 18 transimitter is just slighty west of the other other transmitters. It's not like its in the complete opposite direction. I should still be able to recieve SOME form of signal. But I'm only getting next to nothing. That's why I'm curious of others are having trouble picking up the signal. Anyone else have some ideas?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I don't have my DTC-100 anymore, but when I did, I was picking up KCPQ the best of any of the stations here in Kent. It was rock solid while KOMO, KING and KCTS would be prone to drop-outs. They broadcast from Bremerton, so I would think that it would be same general direction or maybe slightly south for you.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by livetoflyfish
In Sammamish, I get about the same signal strength on all of the Seattle stations - about 60.
What antenna are you using? Indoor or outdoor? I live in Sammamish as well but I've only been able to get NBC once. So far I can only get ABC and CBS in a reliable fashion using my double bow tie.

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pultzar

What antenna are you using? Indoor or outdoor? I live in Sammamish as well but I've only been able to get NBC once. So far I can only get ABC and CBS in a reliable fashion using my double bow tie.

Thanks!

Scott
I'm using the CM4248 Yagi style antenna about 30' above my roof. NBC is actually my strongest station. I live in the Pacific Estates neighborhood.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbaset
But I am having trouble even picking up a weak sigle from my FOX affliate which is KCPQ (I think)...its channel 13 in analog, or 18 in Digital.... Is it possible that FOX is not broadcasting at full power? Does anyone else have trouble getting channel 18 in the EastSide of Seattle area.
Occasionally a station will go off the air. KOMO did last night - 10/12. KCPQ did today during the Mariners Game. I guess its not an exact science just yet.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sbaset

KCPQ is about twenty degrees north and a number of miles west of the Queen Ann antenna from my location in Bellevue. You may have a hill blocking your signal. as you have read Livestoflyfish had to go up 30 feet while using the best UHF antenna available to pull in all of the local channels. A Yagi UHF antenna is much more directional than your the double bow tie ( I have a double bow tie that I tried just for fun) I am impressed that you are able to pull in all of the locals but KCPQ. Personally I think you may need more antenna to pull in KCPQ.

Good luck

·
Registered
961 Posts
Actually, KCPQ both analog 13 and digital 18 are a couple miles west of Bremerton. I'm surprised you're having a problem. Their signal is gangbusters here on Fidalgo Island. Art

Quote:
Originally posted by sbaset
I am getting 100% signal strength with my RS double-bowtie antenna on KING, KIRO, KOMO, and PBS. But I am having trouble even picking up a weak sigle from my FOX affliate which is KCPQ (I think)...its channel 13 in analog, or 18 in Digital. The transmitters are in the same general location...and I've tried aiming the anntena in different directions....still no signal. I have my RS bowtie mounting outside...so I know I'm getting clear line of site. And like I said...100% strength on the other 4 Digital channels. Is it possible that FOX is not broadcasting at full power? Does anyone else have trouble getting channel 18 in the EastSide of Seattle area. I live in Kirkland/Bothell area.

Also, I saw a website that would tell you the exact location and specs of every transmitter in the country. Does anyone have that URL? Thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
KCPQ has been doing some antenna work during days. Art

Quote:

Occasionally a station will go off the air. KOMO did last night - 10/12. KCPQ did today during the Mariners Game. I guess its not an exact science just yet.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Quote:

I'm using the CM4248 Yagi style antenna about 30' above my roof. NBC is actually my strongest station. I live in the Pacific Estates neighborhood.

Where are you located?
I'm in Timberline, which is close to the Redmond side of the plateau. I'm interested in trying a large antenna, perhaps in my attic for starters!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am using a DTC-3000. I have an anntenna guy coming in tomorrow. Going to ask him to install the bowtie higher up on my roof to hopefully pull in FOX. I am seriously at 100% signal strength on everything....except FOX. And I am able to rotate the antenna 30 degrees in each direction and still pick up the signals of the other networks at super-high levels. Pretty impressive from a cheap RS antenna. The guy at Video Only also said that he had trouble picking up FOX from the Eastside. But everything else including PBS comes in crystal clear for me. I will post the results after moving the antenna to the roof. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live 5 miles SW of Puyallup and have a DTC-100 with a RS UHF antenna in my attic pointed north. Signal strengths are as follows:

KCPQ-DT 64

KOMO-DT 70

KIRO-DT 82

KING-DT 76

KCTS-DT not on now but if memory serves, runs in the high 50s.

Is KSTW-DT (Channel 36) transmitting?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone in Duvall get OTA HDTV? I'm considering getting a HDTV receiver, but would like to know if reception is possible at my elevation (Taylor's Ridge). I've already tried antennaweb, which says it should be possible with a 100" amplified antenna.

Ross.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the anntena guy came and left. It took him 2 hours to setup my DirectTV 18X24 Dish, so he didnt have time to install my UHF antenna. But I took my RS Bowtie and moved it upstairs. Wow....now I get 100% strength on ALL the channels. I have a huge grin on my face. I love this antenna. So I guess I dont really need a huge outdoor antenna. I will probably have him install the RS BowTie on my roof. Thanks for everyone's help

S.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Wow. Thats great news. With all the hills and trees we have around here I would never have thought that it would do the job. I have one that I tried and it would work marginally for the Queen Ann and KCTS tower but not KCPQ.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wezar, where in Bellevue are you located? I am in the Tam O'Shanter neighborhood, I tried a Yagi type antenna from Radio Shack and could not pick up Channel 21 KCPQ analog so I assumed I would not be able to pick up any of the HD broadcast from my location. I am right below a hill with no line of site to Queen Anne Hill.

With your experience, what would your opinion be on getting HD reception?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Steve, I am in Lake Hills (south of you). It depends on how far down the hill you are. Also Channel 21? KCPQ is channel 13 (18 digital) You need to try a digital receiver with the Yagi before you give up on OTA HD. If you can receive analog KIRO,KOMO,KING,KCTS then you should be able to receive the digital signal.

I also lack a direct line of site to the towers but I still receive a strong signal. read all the posts on here about what others have done.

check antenaweb and see what

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just got HD a few weeks ago and initially got DirecTV with a dish. I found out that the HD programming on local channels is not passed through either the satellite or cable, plus no UPN, so no Star-Trek Enterprise :mad: !! I have a Sony SAT-HD100 receiver and I went out and got a RS Bow-tie since it was recommended in some other posts here. I must not be doing something right because I get 0 in the Signal Strength Meter. Do I connect it to the VHF/UHF (DTV) or not (DTV)? When I go to the System / Antenna screen, then select Digital TV, it wants me to select a channel to select strength on. I tried channel 48, the guy I talked to at King 5 said they broadcast on that UHF channel. I also tried going into the auto channel program and seeing if it came up with anything. Absolutely nothing. Shouldn't I at least see something other than 0 signal strength? Is anybody doing OTA in Covington?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.