AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried to search forums for the answer. problem is i'm too new in hdtv business.. don't know what to search.. ;)

HW.. I have..

- HDTV (w/o setop box)

- AV receiver

- DirecTV satelite system (just regular ntsc)

- HTPC (no hdtv card)

I kinda figured it out that I need following HW beside what i already have..

- either digital setop box or hdtv card (hipix?? accessdtv??)

Now.. what I couldn't figure it out.. was what kinda programs out there for hdtv subscription..

- Does DirecTV offer HDTV? (It seemed so) Then, do I need different dish for HD?

- Any other cable or satelite company available in seattle area?

plz, help.. !! ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
We have a lot of choices now for Over the air (OTA)

Local news in HD

ABC, KOMO-DT channel 38

NBC, KING-DT channel 48

Network Primetime HDTV

ABC, KOMO-DT channel 38

CBS, KIRO-DT channel 39

Cool Demo Loop (for a while)

NBC, KING-DT channel 48

Great Prime time Video

PBS, KCTS-DT Channel 41

(they also multicast on subchannels educational and the regular PBS feed)

Sports:

CBS, KIRO-DT channel 39 Southeastern conference college football game every Saturday.

Satellite:

Dish network

HBO-HD and Showtime HD and a HD pay per view channel. Also carries the national CBS feed for those who qualify for a waiver.

DirecTV

HBO-HD and a HD pay per view channel. On Channel 199 the HD demo channel, they are broadcasting Mark Cuban’s great new channel HDnetwork. HDnet broadcasts live NHL hockey, regular season MLB and many other pleasing images to view. http://www.hd.net/

Yes you need at least another dish and a multiswitch to receive the HD signals at the 119 slot along with the existing channels on the 101 satellite. Or a oval dish with multiswitch around $100 now.

Guides
http://www.titantv.com/ttv/index.asp?viewMainPage=yes

http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html

Really good source for antenna selection and antenna pointing for stations you select.

http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/

I am using a Antennacraft MX-U59 and it works great. with my Mitsubishi SRHD5 all local digital stations are at 100% signal strength. The DTC-100 I pulled offline was in the mid 80s to 90s for all stations without having to adjust the rotor. I previously had used the largest Rat Shack UHF antenna and the signal strength was about 7 points across the board lower on the DTC-100 than the MX-U59. You can get Antennacraft and Channelmaster antennas at Pringle Electronics in Everett 425-258-6161. They mainly deal with professional installers and they have anything you could dream of needing for your install. Great quality at a fair price.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/

they have mail order for Channelmaster.

Picking a HD receiver is a open field of options. If I were you I would buy a stanalone hd tuner and check out whether I could pull in the local HD channels before I went with the Hdtuner card.

Good Luck

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wezar

I am using a Antennacraft MX-U59 and it works great. with my Mitsubishi SRHD5 all local digital stations are at 100% signal strength. The DTC-100 I pulled offline was in the mid 80s to 90s for all stations without having to adjust the rotor. I previously had used the largest Rat Shack UHF antenna and the signal strength was about 7 points across the board lower on the DTC-100 than the MX-U59. You can get Antennacraft and Channelmaster antennas at Pringle Electronics in Everett 425-258-6161. They mainly deal with professional installers and they have anything you could dream of needing for your install. Great quality at a fair price.

wezer, nice summary.

two questions.

1. Why did you switch to a different antenna if you were getting 80+ signal strengths?

2. Why did you switch from the DTC-100?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Tryg Hoff - I got good deal on a open box Mitusbishi SR-HD5 so I went for it. The reason I changed antennas' even though I had a good signal before. I am a tweaker and cannot always leave good enough alone. I am still thinking about trying a Channelmaster antenna next year. We have couple of digital stations coming on line next year that just might need it.....'

Rick

·
Registered
17 Posts
The greater Seattle area is interesting for signal reception. When I lived in Magnolia I got KCTS at a signal strength of 65 and KCPQ(fox) at 80 (No matter where I pointed the antenna, I even got it with just the coax). And no sign of any other stations.

I now live in Port Orchard. Same antenna, I had to add a rotor and amp. KCPQ in the 90s, KCTS and the rest between 75 and 80.

This is with a RCA DTC-100, ChannelMaster 4248 UHF antenna, 7777 mast mount amp, and a 9521 rotor.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I guess I'm asking cause I get a couple stations down here in Olympia in the 50's and 60's. I find that anything over 50 never breaks the picture up and so far even the worst storm has not been able to disrupt a signal of 60 or greater on my DTC-100. Signal strength of a 90-100 doesn't make the picture any better... so I'm not sure I understand the nature of the "tweak" or the need to switch antennas.

I like the looks of the mits box though, a bit smaller. Is the menu any better/easier?

the only real thing I don't like about the DTC-100 is the remote. The keys are hard to push, poor signal strength, and not the easiest to use. I would love an RF remote.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If I were in your position I would try the Channelmaster 4248 and 7777 preamp that VRT is using. I have read where many have had great success with that combination. I like the DTC-100 too, but I think the Mitsubishi SR-HR5 has a better tuning section which would help you too.

The reason to go for more signal strength is to provide more allowance for weather interference and distance to future digital stations.

Good Luck

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
KTCS is the only one I ever have problems with dropping below 50. However I never bothered tuning my antenna. I just pointed it in the general vicinity of where I thought the stations were. I will go up in the tree this weekend and get them all the best I can this weekend(I've gone a whole year without doing this).

If KTCS is still below 60 I'll just go get a 10 or 20 DB antenna amp from Radio Shack. They are only $29. This will probably help a lot considering the antenna is at the end of 150 feet of RG6.

KCPQ comes in in the 90s so I must have the antenna pointed to far to the west.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Hey I just went out and eyeballed my antenna and then used this site.
http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/

and I'm definately about 30 degrees to the west of where I should be. I'll let you know what kind of gains I can make with proper pointing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.